Author Topic: Valve/tappet adjustment  (Read 1742 times)

rguinn1947

• View Profile
    • Email
Valve/tappet adjustment
« on: September 24, 2016, 05:17:25 PM »
Due to a low compression issue on my 47 Frazer, I have been advised that it could possibly be a result of 'too tight' adjustment on 2 exhaust valves (according to the older techs at work). I have read the shop manual and it does not seem to be too technical a procedure but does not specify the wrench size to do t he adjustment.  Special tool numbers are listed but I do not have those.  Would anyone have any 'words of wisdom' on this as I really do not want to get into a valve job only as a last resort.  I could not find any mileage interval for this adjustment but I do know the engine was rebuilt in the late 70's including a valve job.  The accumulated mileage is about 25k since then.  I miss driving the car this fall and hope this will correct the problem.   Thank you in advance.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Valve/tappet adjustment
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 05:30:17 PM »
You need a set of tappet wrenches to set them.  It's been my experience that low compression on cyl 3 or 4 is caused by a burned valve and or seat.  You can try adjusting the tappets first but it's likely the valve itself.  The two center exhaust valves are side-by-side with no water jacket between them so this is a typical problem with 226. 

Tappet wrenches themselves are just like other wrenches except they're thinner so you can fit one on the lifter and turn the tappet adjustment with the other.  Here's a set which will likely fill your need

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Craftsman-Open-Ended-Wrenches-V-44472-9-16-1-2-44475-7-16-3-8-Engine-Tappet-/252536841763?hash=item3acc5e6623:g:hNYAAOSwknJX1vwD
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

rguinn1947

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 07:49:34 AM »
Thank you for the quick reply. Are the wrenches the correct sizes?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 06:50:12 PM »
Sorry, I've only used them on the Henry J 161.  I don't know if the 226 is the same size wrench. Hopefully someone will know and comment.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

rguinn1947

• View Profile
    • Email
Valve tappet adjustment, part 2.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 05:31:06 PM »
I have been doing my homework on this pending project (reading shop manual and studying the parts book) and am somewhat wary of removing the lf inner fender splash shield to gain access for the tappet adjustment.The shop manual is pretty forward, just remove the splash shield.  I am afraid of removing too much hardware and affecting the fender mounting/alignment although reading the parts manual breakdown that there are 5 bolts (on top), 2-3 on the 'frame' but a lot of screws towards the front where it attaches to what I call the radiator support.  Has anyone removed this shield and if there are any words of advice you could pass along?  I really hate disturbing anything but it is necessary to gain access to the tappets.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 07:15:26 PM »
Removing the splash shield will not cause issues with fender alignment. The fender itself does not rely on the splash shield for correct figment so go ahead and remove it. Just make note of which screw/nut/bolt was used at each connecting point.

ldladyvt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 12:22:47 AM »
The 'access shield' for valve adjusting is not the whole splash shield.  The only piece that needs to be removed is roughly the part of the shield that is around the upper suspension arm and top shock mount.  It is held in place by washer head sheet metal screws  That access plate should also have rubber splash shields stapled to it.  It is not a hard item to remove and it is not bolted to the frame or radiator supports.

rguinn1947

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 06:44:20 AM »
Is this for the '49? Mine is a '47.   Thank you all for your replies.  Always a big help.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 07:34:01 AM »
Some 47s didn't have an access shield. If your car doesn't, then the whole splash shield will require removal but as mentioned earlier, it should not affect fender alignment.