Author Topic: Rear Window Squeak/Leak in '54  (Read 1682 times)

rex

• View Profile
    • Email
Rear Window Squeak/Leak in '54
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:28:20 AM »
Group,

I would love some feedback from some other '54 owner's on a rear window problem with my '54.  When I hit the right sort of bump, it sounds like the whole rear window assembly is squeaking in the rubber.  To test this ,I removed everything from the rear of the car--rear seat, package shelf, etc. and still got an annoying squeaking that sounds like glass on rubber.  I took the window in and had it sealed, but that made no difference.  I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.  It also had a leak around both small glasses that sealing did not totally fix either, despite the fact that the seal is in good physical shape.  I would appreciate hearing from others on this.

Thanks!

Rex Crews  Durham, NC

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Rear Window Squeak/Leak in '54
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 08:02:28 PM »
It sounds like the gasket has dried out and shrunk a bit, allowing the glass to move around and squeak. Right now, there are no replacement gaskets available, the best you can do is to try to seal things as best as possible. My 50K Traveler has the same problem with the LR door glass.

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 12:09:15 AM »
Last time I had a squeak like that it was caused by a loose pin in one of the rear door striker plates.

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 02:30:03 PM »
The rear seal on my 54, was cracked and had shrunk.  I cleaned the rubber, using liquid rubber on the cracks and then trimmed with a razor-blade.  After preparing the metal surrounding the window opening I installed the glass/rubber seal as one unit. After installation, I took a syringe filled with epoxy rubber and filled the gap between the seal and body this filled the void between seal and metal opening.  It several hours to do this process, then I installed the trim and window surrounds.  I think I have it solved after curing I doused the whole rear window area with pressure washer and no leaks!  Ref:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGGfBqqtgQw&feature=related  Good luck, john