Author Topic: Heater Control Valve Leaking & Kaiser Darrin trivia  (Read 870 times)

OLDNMKFR

• View Profile
    • Email
Heater Control Valve Leaking & Kaiser Darrin trivia
« on: September 29, 2016, 10:40:07 PM »
1. Does anyone know of a good source to get a Ranco heater (water) valve repaired. It is not off a Kaiser but off my 66 Chrysler convertible. Ebay seldom ever even lists any NOS and they are all ridiculously priced. It doesn't appear to be rusted but leaks badly and I had to bypass it to keep any antifreeze in the car Has anyone been able to repair one or could a member recommend a vendor that could fix it before winter gets here. Thanks for any leads.   

2. I just found an old license receipt in my papers from my old Kaiser Darrin. It was heavily modified due to having been in a wreck and it had been converted to accept an Olds windshield and a custom dash because at that time no one had any Darrin glass. I wonder what ever became of it. The serial number was 16100137 and it was originally sold to a guy in southwest Missouri.  It was converted to 12 volts and had a starter off a Buick straight eight that would move the car on the starter alone. It had a mounting plate on the engine block for the supercharger that was in the trunk when I bought it. but was not stock. It was originally Pine Tint Green with more cracks than a broken window so I had it stripped, gel coated over new woven fiberglass mat. primed and painted at a Corvette shop in Kansas City. By the time I got it home to put the chrome back on, there were several new cracks in the paint and the shop had also lost the original serial number plates so I had to have new ones made. After that much money wasted I kind of lost interest especially after I took a turn a little too fast and slid sideways through a front yard while popping all four wire wheel hubcaps off the rims. I guess the Henry J components weren't up to the job although the brakes were great and it got good gas mileage. It was fun to drive and got lots of attention plus a wife, but a true sports car it patently was not. It was still a neat car to own though and I am just curious as to what happened to it.

Bernard #511
Current Family:
2017 Toyota IM
2003 Toyota Corolla
1997 Buck Skylark Custom
1966 Chrysler 300 Convertible (440 TNT)
Former Family:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1954 Kaiser Darrin #137
1948 Kaiser
1951 Kaiser 4 dr w/overdrive

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Heater Control Valve Leaking & Kaiser Darrin trivia
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 11:44:03 PM »
To rebuild your Ranco heater control valve I'd suggest contacting Lance Walker at 704/7929110     Lance Walker hornetllw@yahoo.com      He just rebuilt mine for a Kaiser and Lance was recommended by Kaiser Bill.   

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Heater Control Valve Leaking & Kaiser Darrin trivia
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 03:32:45 PM »
Car number 137 was last reported in Michigan from a list I have that is admittedly about 10 years old.