Author Topic: stalling engine  (Read 2045 times)

Quadromaniac

• View Profile
    • Email
stalling engine
« on: November 20, 2016, 06:50:29 PM »
Started driving the 54 Kaiser Special last week and the fuel pump (electric) was bad. The manual pump was removed when I purchased the car. Replaced with a new unit and now while driving, it will act like it is running out of gas around 30 MPH. As long as you keep the gas pedal depressed it does this, then let up on the gas pedal and it starts running fine. I have replaced the filter in the carburetor and I did put a new inline filter before the fuel pump. The pump is only about 12 inches from the gas tank. It has done this for the last 5 or 6 times driving it. Any comments are welcome.

alohagreen

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: stalling engine
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 07:11:15 PM »
does it  work its way out of the stall, if you keep your foot on the floor ALL The way until it does?
   could be
fuel starvation
or
  accelerator pump

not receiving enough fuel <----- just sayn

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 07:17:02 PM by alohagreen »
alohageen is here to help,
a little help goes a LONG way...

jbailey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 10:15:38 PM »
Quadromaniac:

I had a similar problem in my '75 C-10 pick up with 3 speed and 250 ci 6 cylinder.  I replaced the fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel pump etc and these measures did not solve the problem.  The issue turned out to be the fuel filler hose.  Pinholes in the filler hose did not allow the fuel pump to create sufficient vacuum to siphon sufficient gas out of the gas tank when the engine was under heavy load.  Hose replacement solved the problem.  In Corvairs, such a problem is often caused by a dirty "sock" at the end of the fuel pickup.  I don't know if KF cars experience similar issues, but it is worth looking when one has tried everything else.

John B.

1952 Willys Aero Ace in a Box
1962 Corvair 700 4dr sedan
1975 Chevy C10 pickup

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 01:03:40 PM »
When I researched putting a electric on my "51 Kaiser I found out that some pumps were a one way only and some were
either way. If installed backwards on a one way pump, it would not work correctly. You symptoms act a lot like a fuel
starvation problem. Just FYI. I would remove the air cleaner and shine a light down the throat of the carb and rev the
engine and hold it there to see if the accelerator pump is working and if the problem occurs. If the engine has plenty
of gas and only does this wile driving (under load pulling the weight of the car) then you probably have a vacuum leak
causing the engine to run lean.

alohagreen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 05:13:11 PM »
bog / stalling----->
The sole purpose of the accelerator pump system is to provide a combustible air/fuel ratio during hard acceleration, especially from idle, for the time it takes the main metering system, via the booster venturi, to respond to the increase in air velocity.  When you mash the throttle opening the throttle plates, air responds instantaneously to the pressure drop (vacuum) generated by the engine through the intake manifold.

Quadromaniac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 03:59:44 PM »
All good information. The fuel pump that was on the car was wired to the coil so I put the new one back the same way. Could that be a reason for the car stalling out?

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 05:06:28 PM »
I would not wire it that way because now the coil wire is carrying the current for the coil and the fuel pump. I would wire the fuel pump to a dash mount toggle switch and then to a inline fuse mounted at the battery. The way you have it now a fire
could result if the key was on and the wire between the coil and the pump shorted to ground.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 05:43:16 PM »
I do not think I would want the fuel pump   running when  the engine was shut off.. In a wreck you could be in deep trouble. Install a 6 volt relay with the coil hooked up between the hot ignition terminal and ground. Run a fused lead from the battery to one side of the normally open contacts and the other side of the normally open contact to the pump. I have done this several times ,it works ,it's safer and it's cheap.

This will work nicely. It will also replace the OEM overdrive relay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Volt-Relay-Bosch-Auto-Style-6VDC-coil-40A-30A-w-Pigtail-SPDT-6V-/201468278588?hash=item2ee871f73c:g:JvEAAOSwgQ9VzfYS&vxp=mtr
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Quadromaniac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 06:52:24 PM »
This morning I ran new 10 gauge wire from the battery to the fuel pump, along with a new toggle switch mounted in the dash. It is no longer wired to the coil and I have driven it close to 50 miles so far with out the problem happening again. Thanks again for all the input on this problem. This forum is great.

alohagreen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 08:18:21 PM »
KQQL -n- yea...
glad ya found the problem
what fuel pump are you running

Quadromaniac

• View Profile