Author Topic: To judge our cars or not.  (Read 10592 times)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: To judge our cars or not.
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2019, 06:27:26 PM »
Do they have the "bullseye" circle on the lens or the aiming nibs that came on the later bulbs?  They must have been about the same time that Willlys vehicles switched from six to twelve volts.  1956?
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2019, 07:06:50 PM »
Do they have the "bullseye" circle on the lens or the aiming nibs that came on the later bulbs?  They must have been about the same time that Willlys vehicles switched from six to twelve volts.  1956?

They do have a small circle in the center with the "GE" logo in it, and there's 3 nibs on the perimeter of the face. They're also stamped with "6V" in yellow ink on the lens as well as the sticker, so they were making sure to avoid 6V/12V mix ups.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2019, 10:26:26 AM »
I'm just glad when the car starts, runs, and gets me A to B and back to A with whatever plugs it has in it. Guess no body would pass the test of leaded gas, huh? (additives wouldn't count.)
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

dbalfisto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2019, 01:40:02 AM »
Judging requires standards, otherwise it quickly devolves into popularity contests or undocumented or undocumentable opinions.  And yes some folks take a sense of pride in “knowing” more than others, sometimes voicing opinions tactlessly.

But there is a place for the standards, and for restoring cars. that standard is factory issue (or should be).  That is where I found value in this club, the kind instruction on mechanical and aesthetic particulars really helped when I got mine and was curious.  And I want to know what is correct.  Sometimes and for various reasons, economic, part availability or scarcity, reliability, personal preference I will knowingly depart.  And again, there is value in knowing from what I am departing.  So thanks to those who have been in the trenches with this information and willingness to share. 

I go to few shows where there is judging, doesn’t matter to me, but it does bring some cars out that would otherwise remain in garage.  And on that subject, there is a lot of interest in original (or long used but unrestored) cars evidencing their patina (like I do).  Perhaps merely a grouping or recognition of this class of car will engender some interest.
David Boyd
Time flies when you are in the garage, ask my wife

jake

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2019, 02:04:24 AM »
All the car shows I go too. They do not know what it is..
EX- Member #7416 

NO Club.. 

Just a lone wolf..

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2019, 03:25:56 PM »

They do have a small circle in the center with the "GE" logo in it, and there's 3 nibs on the perimeter of the face. They're also stamped with "6V" in yellow ink on the lens as well as the sticker, so they were making sure to avoid 6V/12V mix ups.

These would be good replacements for any six volt car but they were made later than the K-F era and would not be correct for judging a Kaiser or Frazer.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom