Author Topic: Kaiser Video  (Read 2155 times)

Bob G

• View Profile
    • Email
Kaiser Video
« on: April 14, 2019, 09:15:53 PM »
Here is the link for a just released video of the '54 Kaiser (my car) including commentary about the Kaiser-Frazer Corporation. The author of the video, Joe Ligo, is one of the photographers for the TV show Auto Week.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bhRDZAI X8. If having trouble accessing the link try Youtube.com/c/AutoMoments.
'54 Kaiser Special
'64 Studebaker GT Hawk

Kato

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kaiser Video
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 07:11:29 PM »
Thanks for the link, and beautiful car!  I thought it was interesting that the host had not much good to say about the car's acceleration -- mine is a manual, and I'm actual pretty impressed with how much pep it has.  Is the automatic so different?

Also, he mentions the weight of the car, but I'm not under the impression that these cars are any heavier than modern cars (probably lighter) -- not sure if he's off base or if I am.

I do love the grill and the tail lights on the '54s!
'53 Kaiser Manhattan
'52 Nash Ambassador
'51 Hudson Pacemaker
'77 Toyota Celica GT

Bob G

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 10:42:33 AM »
Acceleration is slow with the automatic.  However, have never floored it, nor did he, to see what could happen. Agree with you on the weight. Thanks for the compliment.
'54 Kaiser Special
'64 Studebaker GT Hawk

Kato

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 11:40:58 AM »
I don't think I've floored mine yet, other than for an instant to kick it out of OD.  The oil pressure in these guys scares me a bit too much for those shenanigans, at least until I change the oil for the first time and go to something heavier than the 10w30 the previous owner was using.   :o
'53 Kaiser Manhattan
'52 Nash Ambassador
'51 Hudson Pacemaker
'77 Toyota Celica GT

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 01:59:52 PM »
Those engines worked fine for K-F for ten years and for Checker cab service for many years longer than that.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Carl Eidsness

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 02:12:34 PM »
I just clicked on the link and it said video not available.  Is there a new link to see it.
Carl Eidsness
1948 Kaiser Special
1959 Ford retractable hardtop convertible
1929 REO Flying Cloud coupe
1929 REO Flying Cloud sedan

Bob G

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 01:31:35 PM »
YouTube.com/c/AutoMoments should work.
'54 Kaiser Special
'64 Studebaker GT Hawk

DH Comet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 04:54:32 PM »
A good video, although as we know, Henry Kaiser never built battleships; he built cargo ships, but still.  I thought the narrator made some very fair points about Henry Kaiser's failure to build a V8 and his refusal to cut production in opposition to Joe Frazer, and his comments about acceleration, or lack thereof, would certainly apply to my '53 Manhattan (it's an automatic too) - it's no ball of fire!  Your '54 is a beauty, and shows very well in the video. Congratulations!
DH Comet
'53 Manhattan

Bob G

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 02:31:17 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the video. Thanks for the compliment.
'54 Kaiser Special
'64 Studebaker GT Hawk

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 12:05:49 AM »
The problem with today's motor oils is that the formulation has changed to the detriment of any older (Pre-1966) engine.  Zinc and other trace elements are no longer used in the newer S series grades (SL, SM, SN, SN Plus among others).  Quaker State conventional oils used to have around 1000 ppm of zinc which is needed for proper lubrication of camshafts and cam bearings (especially significant in the Willys-Overland built engines used in Henry J, Allstate and the Kaiser Darrin) but are no longer a viable oil (same for Shell Rotella gas engine oils).  The information on the reformulation comes from QS/Shell (owned by the same company now).

Valvoline makes a synthetic racing oil the VR series which is available in multi-viscosity or straight weight grades.  This has 1400 ppm of zinc and the other older trace elements but I have been unable to find anyone so far in the Seattle/Tacoma WA area that sells it.  I am currently using the Hemmings Motor News private labeled oil in the 5W30 grade.  So far no problems in the flathead HJ engine under the hood of our 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe.  This oil is supposed to contain 1460+ ppm of zinc according to the Hemmings people.  It is also a synthetic.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 06:06:25 AM »
The rebuilder who handle the work on my Darrin 161 engine had a low opinion of Quaker State oils. Instead, he recommended Penn Grade oils. Their zinc content is high and they have other additives that apparently do a better job of protecting engine internals.

The rebuilder I used specializes in Jeep 134 engines and was in the middle of rebuilding another 161 f-head when I dropped off mine for rebuild. He's also the go to guy for the local dirt track racing crowd.

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 10:07:39 AM »
ZDP zinc additive with every oil change.  I get mine from Eastwood.  Castrol and Valvoline racing oils also have zinc.
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 07:33:25 PM »
If you go to the Petroleum Institute https://pqia/passenger-car-motor-oil, you will see all motor oils and their ratings (SM, etc.). If you click on a name (Havoline etc.), you will see a chemical listing of the oil and it will show the zinc content in ppm. All the oils have zinc and some are higher than others. I did a little searching and found a oil high in zinc and it costs the same as other popular oils and did not need to be some special racing brand.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 08:14:59 PM »
Link to the oil chart mentioned above - https://pqia.org/passenger-car-motor-oil/