Author Topic: Trico Lift-o-matic vacuum power window motors  (Read 1151 times)

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
Trico Lift-o-matic vacuum power window motors
« on: February 14, 2021, 02:21:41 PM »
Wanted Trico Vacuum Power window motors used in 1951 Frazer Manhattans and 1949 and 1950 Kaiser Virginians.

whatwouldjessedo

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Trico Lift-o-matic vacuum power window motors
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 08:09:06 PM »
Hi, are you interested in this vacuum motor?

https://kfclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,13108.0.html

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 10:54:53 PM »
the power window motor is nothing like a windshield wiper motor.  Trico developed a vaccuum based lindow lift system for cars that became available after World War II and used in the 1949-50 Kaiser Virginians and 1951 Frazer Manhattan hardtops.  Servicing information was not in the 1949-50 and 1951 shop manuals; Kaiser-Frazer issued servicing instructions as a separate service bulletin in 1949 that features a phantom drawing showing routing of the vaccuum lines, lift motors, etc. 

The system is different from the hydraulic (fluid) power window and power top systems used in Buicks, Packards and other makes of higher end automobiles.  Both systems fell by the boards when 12 volt ignition systems came on line.  The higher voltage produced more electric current (amps) that made powering the window and (as applicable) top systems easier on the electrical system. 

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 09:28:52 AM »
I'm looking for the window motors. They are different for each location, left front, right front, left rear, right rear are all different. Every once in a while I get one on E Bay. I bought one a few years ago, and I just bought 2 right rear motors on E Bay. Usually the seller has no idea what they are selling. I needed some good diaphragms for my motors, and was looking for rebuildable units. Being 60 to 70 year old units, even the new ones are not useable unless they are rebuilt. When the motors are working properly, the windows zip up and down quietly and quickly. The speed can be adjusted by the solenoid valves on each end. I set mine to the quickest setting. The inch before full close, the window will slow down and close gently. There is a plunger in the window motor that purposely does this to keep the window from slamming shut. It's the coolest thing to see.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 09:34:28 AM by DTort96646 »

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 12:01:31 PM »
Just curious....do you have them in a Kaiser Virginian or a 1949 Frazer Manhattan sedan?  Some factory materials hint that the Manhattan 4-door sedan could be ordered with the window lifts and that a handful might have been turned out that way.

DTort96646

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 05:37:09 PM »
They are in my 1951 Frazer Manhattan 4 door hardtop. Factory installed.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 05:40:49 PM by DTort96646 »