Author Topic: Willys Articles in the KFOCI Spring Quarterly  (Read 926 times)

WillysTom1

• View Profile
    • Email
Willys Articles in the KFOCI Spring Quarterly
« on: March 28, 2021, 08:12:56 AM »
   Lew Retzer has an article about his interest in Willys vehicles and he describes all of them that he has owned.
   Glenn Byron has an info article on the 55 Customs and Bermudas.
   A reprint from 1960 describing how the KFOC should expand the interest of the KFOC by including Willys all the way back to 1902.
     Four years ago this subject was brought up again and discussed at the KFOCI Convention in Prescott, Az. Is it time to revisit that subject?
1955 Willys Custom
Former owner of 1951 Kaiser Deluxe, 1951Henry J, 1955 Willys Bermuda

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Willys Articles in the KFOCI Spring Quarterly
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 10:22:13 AM »

.......................A reprint from 1960 describing how the KFOC should expand the interest of the KFOC by including Willys all the way back to 1902.
     Four years ago this subject was brought up again and discussed at the KFOCI Convention in Prescott, Az. Is it time to revisit that subject?

I suggested something similar to boost Willys participation/club membership (plus others) to a club officer a few years ago & was told the concern was that Willys might become a larger part of the club than KF products. I can see the concern, given how many decades longer Willys produced vehicles. The reality is that even Kaiser was basically a Willys producer for more years than they produced their own cars after Kaiser cars stopped production. The Jeep brand continues even today.............quite a run. And yet I've always had the impression that Willys is the "red headed step child" of the club. 
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 12:07:41 PM »
I suggested something similar to boost Willys participation/club membership (plus others) to a club officer a few years ago & was told the concern was that Willys might become a larger part of the club than KF products. I can see the concern, given how many decades longer Willys produced vehicles. The reality is that even Kaiser was basically a Willys producer for more years than they produced their own cars after Kaiser cars stopped production. The Jeep brand continues even today.............quite a run. And yet I've always had the impression that Willys is the "red headed step child" of the club.

"The purposes for which the club are founded are for the development, publication and interchange of technical, historical and other information for and among the members and others who own or are interested in the vehicles built after 1945 by Kaiser-Frazer, Graham-Paige, Willys Motors, Kaiser Motors, Kaiser-Willys, Willys Overland, IKA,  and Kaiser Jeep (including vehicles built by the above companies by their foreign divisions or under license), and to promote social discourse and fellowship among the members; and to maintain references upon and encourage the maintenance and preservation of all such vehicles as well as to promote and publish studies and research pertaining to their history."

As I recall, the proposals to open the club to ALL Willys & Jeep products was shut-down because it was too broad for the club to "service" ... meaning lack of literature and historical factory materials to provide the support we currently give to KF products. Also, there was strong resistance from KFOCI members who rallied against such an expansion following the treatment (shunned/ostracized) they received when they attended a co-sponsored KFOCI-Willys Reunion event.

If "we" (the club) open up to more Willys/Jeep products what perimeters do we put in place? 1902 to present? Some other year span? Rick Kamen shares his personal archive with members who own or are interested in Aero Willys (1952-1955), but who has and will provide the technical, historical and other information for other years and models?

In my opinion, if the KFOCI can't do it right, "we" shouldn't do it at all.
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 06:03:15 PM »
Many enthusiasts have their own collections of literature/history/manuals and share them, so that's an issue that would likely self resolve to a reasonable level with participation.
I stopped suggesting the club no longer "stay the course" some time back, I just replied to the original question with what I was told.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 01:27:45 PM »
Mark (and others)

I have been in this club for over 45 years.  During that time I have tried to save both K-F, Sears Roebuck & Co and Willys Motors/Willys-Overland factory correspondence that includes dealer ordering information, correspondence between factory and dealers or distributors, etc. to provide the same level of "service" to Willys vehicle owners that I can to K-F owners.  There's been almost nothing available on Willys stuff compared to what I found for Kaiser-Frazer.  I can't share what I don't have and could not get.

Rick Kamen had some better luck than I had but he is limited to the Aero Willys period and does try to help others with questions.  Jim Betts recently uncovered a treasure trove of service bulletins 1952-1961 and has the great majority of them on his CIRCLEKF.COM website; the material can be downloaded as .PDF files.  Other than the 3 of us, I don't know anyone else with a big collection of stuff who is willing to share.  If you or anyone else on the forum has or knows of collectors with big collections and is willing to share info with others, please let me know. 

Jack Mueller, KFOCI Historian

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 08:25:58 PM »
Mark (and others)

I have been in this club for over 45 years.  During that time I have tried to save both K-F, Sears Roebuck & Co and Willys Motors/Willys-Overland factory correspondence that includes dealer ordering information, correspondence between factory and dealers or distributors, etc. to provide the same level of "service" to Willys vehicle owners that I can to K-F owners.  There's been almost nothing available on Willys stuff compared to what I found for Kaiser-Frazer.  I can't share what I don't have and could not get.

Rick Kamen had some better luck than I had but he is limited to the Aero Willys period and does try to help others with questions.  Jim Betts recently uncovered a treasure trove of service bulletins 1952-1961 and has the great majority of them on his CIRCLEKF.COM website; the material can be downloaded as .PDF files.  Other than the 3 of us, I don't know anyone else with a big collection of stuff who is willing to share.  If you or anyone else on the forum has or knows of collectors with big collections and is willing to share info with others, please let me know. 

Jack Mueller, KFOCI Historian

I've have copies of the same bulletins for the Aero, & know others have at least as much literature as me, likely more. Literature didn't seem to be a big sticking point during the lengthy forum discussions a couple times in the past about making the club more inclusive.
I have no interest in revisiting that subject, my reply above to WillysTom1 was just to relate a position I'd been told previously on the subject.