Author Topic: Clutch Assembly Source  (Read 1200 times)

glennstin

• Whomever Dies with the Most AL-TOY Jeeps Wins
    • View Profile
    • Email
Clutch Assembly Source
« on: August 24, 2021, 04:16:55 PM »
  Hello,  Does anyone know where to source the clutch assembly kit for the 54-55 Willys Aero with the 226 engine?  I have a '55 Custom apart, the disc is 9 1/4 with a 1 1/8 shaft, 10 spline.  The Throw Out Bearing is Aetna A-2345.  This info would be helpful on this site for others, I'm sure.  Help us with part# and source.  Thanks,
'55  Custom, Plus a Kansas Parts Car , '59 CJ3B, '50 Jeepster, AL-TOY Jeep Models, Willys Lit. , DJ3A Goodies, Willys History, Willys Special Equipment

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Clutch Assembly Source
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 09:18:22 PM »
Try kaiserwillys.com or walcks4wd, also willysjeepparts & willysamerica. I have the 161 f-head engine & bought my clutch disc, pressure plate & throwout bearing from one of the first two. I often see 226 type parts on the jeep sites too. Quite a bit is same part numbers. Jeepsterman has some "crossover" parts too.
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

glennstin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 07:13:40 AM »
 I talked to Carl @ Walcks and also Kaiser Willys with no good solution.  The clutch disc original Willys part numbeer for the F-161 engine is 807958 and the 226 is listed as Borg & Beck K-734854.  I have a spare F-161 engine under my bench, but didn't tear into it. Looks like only other use was in 2WD station wagons.  Stay tuned, we may have a source thru O'Rilley- something in the AMC line- more today. The Aetna A-2345 throw out bearing is no problem and available easily.
'55  Custom, Plus a Kansas Parts Car , '59 CJ3B, '50 Jeepster, AL-TOY Jeep Models, Willys Lit. , DJ3A Goodies, Willys History, Willys Special Equipment

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 10:41:20 AM »
The clutch for the 1954 Kaisers with overdrive shows a K-F part number of 213068; this is from the 1954 Kaiser parts book.  The Willys Parts Price List dated November 15, 1955 shows that the K-F number was replaced by the K-734854 Willys transitional part number (Willys numbers beginning with a "K" were K-F parts that would work on appropriate Willys or Jeep branded vehicles).  Based on this, the K-F part would work same as the Willys number on your 1955 passenger car.

My December 1967 "Popular Parts" book issued by Kaiser-Jeep Corporation lists a new number for the 9 1/4 inch Driven Plate and Hub; this number is 926917.  It is possible that AMC (and perhaps even Chrysler Corporation parts books for Jeep parts) list this number as an available item based on Willys/Jeep applications.

glennstin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 12:56:07 PM »
So far today I've found this:  http://kfparts.com/store/product/213068/   You must send core and $155.  Pressure Plate is same deal, both must be rebuilt from your original part.  WE did get a kit from O'Rilley for a 1981 AMC Concord but the only usable part is the clutch disc marked PHT D 584.  This is not an exact match but will install and work.  So far I have not sourced where to buy seperately.  Still working on this.  This link came fro this Forum on the Kaiser side.  They have the same problem for  the 226 equipped vehicles. There is no cross to any 4WD Jeep Vehicle.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 04:35:42 PM by glennstin »

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 04:12:12 PM »
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

glennstin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 10:19:17 AM »
 UPDATE--YIPPPEEE!!! I think we are in business.  The Clutch Disc will be available to all soon.  The actual disc is # D 584 manufactured by Power Torque.  They have told me a disc is on the way to me. Their only request is a picture taken beside my car. (Great Exposure for KFOCI) Give me time to get it assembled and report on this site about actual fit.  As stated previously, there are slight differences from original, but this will avoid the rebuilding of our original units along with the time delay.  If this works, it will be a whole step in the preservation of our cars. Maybe some KFOCI Member can provide all applications this disc will fit in the K/F Line in order for the factory to show on his retail site that will help our members. This is NOT for any 4WD Jeep applications due to shaft dimensions. I'll also try to do a write up in the newsletter. Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 04:52:01 PM by glennstin »

glennstin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 02:39:54 PM »
Today I received Clutch Disc # D 584.  I'm waiting for Throw-Out Bearing Aetna # A 2345.  We'll reuse the pressure plate.  The picture attached shows my 1955 Willys Custom  with the new disc, me on the left and Ray Morrow of Morrow's Garage, Smithfield, Maine.  Ray and his crew are the ones who matched this up for us from a 1981 AMC Concord kit.  Power Torque will make this disc available soon probably thru Rock Auto.  We need information for all applications this disc will fit.  Right now the list seems to include all Kaiser Frazer Willys with the 226 flathead six engine along with the original AMC Concord.  Let's get more discussion going here to help the factory.

glennstin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 01:53:54 PM »
  UPDATE:  Just got the 1955 Willys Custom out of the shop.  The clutch disc is an acceptable replacement, though slightly thinner than the original.  There is plenty of adjustment for long service as our vehicles are seldom used severly.  When I am notified that the disc is available and the source, I'll put the word out here.  I do have my original worn disc to send for rebuild if someone on here knows you'll be needing one down the road.  Free- just pay postage.  This may help to avoid a long delay waiting for resurfaceing. Be sure to source your throw-out bearing beforehand as they are available, but not usually thru local vendors.  And you will have to reuse your pressure plate unless you have it rebuilt. None are available that I know of.  Hope all this chatter helps a KFOCI Member keep his baby functioning. 

rrdcorvair

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 03:14:55 PM »
Hi Glen, we just noticed your post.  We have rebuilt clutch cover assemblies (pressure plate/springs) for $150 plus postage.  No exchange needed.  We're located in Vermont.  ldladykf@yahoo.com