Author Topic: 6 volt flashers  (Read 1249 times)

kf5336

• View Profile
    • Email
6 volt flashers
« on: May 04, 2022, 10:40:09 AM »
I was recently helping a friend install turn signals on his 1946 Ford and once completed, had a signal indicator light  malfunction.  We traced it to the 6 volt flasher included with the kit.  The NAPA interchange number is a Tung Sol #535.  Locatged and installed NOS Tung Sol #229D flasher and light malfunction problem was resolved.  Has anyone experienced a problem with the newer replacement flasher (#535) causing turn signals not to operate properly, and if so, what was the remedy short of locating a NOS 229D flasher?  I did send a request to Willow Run Parts for info stamped on the flashers they sell but have yet to hear back.
                                                                                         Thanking you in advance,
                                                                                        Bob Guinn   #5336

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 6 volt flashers
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 12:53:52 PM »
I too have had that problem.  Had to use a heavy-duty flasher - HD Flasher 535.  Another thing that will cause said symptom is the ground path for the indicator light is through the case/chasis of the mechanism and since the steering column is usually painted, it may not ground properly when you mount it back on the column. I've had that problem a few times...  had to scuff it a bit and then it worked.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kf5336

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 04:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  Where did you find a heavy duty 6 volt flasher?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 04:47:47 PM »
I got one in with some parts a fellow gave me. I think Rudy Phillips sells them. I forget the manufacture, they're in a green and yellow box. Check with Rudy.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 07:31:40 AM »
I got one in with some parts a fellow gave me. I think Rudy Phillips sells them. I forget the manufacture, they're in a green and yellow box. Check with Rudy.

google it and pick your source unless you want to pay an arm and a leg with certain KF suppliers