Author Topic: KFOCI handbook on CD  (Read 2089 times)

retroguy

• '54 Kaiser Manhattan 003764 K542
    • View Profile
    • Email
KFOCI handbook on CD
« on: May 09, 2022, 01:54:09 PM »
Seems like last year there was a new handbook being prepared and to be issued on CD.  Anyone know what happened to that project?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: KFOCI handbook on CD
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 06:40:11 AM »
It's been the better part of a year since my last meeting with Chris about getting an updated version of the KFOCI HANDBOOK on line.  I don't know what's happening there as at that meeting Chris indicated the target for getting it on the club website in the members-only section was no later than Labor Day 2021.  In fairness to Chris, he juggles being a single parent with various jobs (including one at Kanter Auto Parts in NJ) and the Kaiser-Frazer parts business he started with his father.

Another challenge to keeping the project going is cost.  Anyone looking at what's considered current versions of laptops and tower computers knows that the CD drive feature no longer exists except on the most expensive business-type machines.  You have to buy the drive separately, but the number of USB ports on most current machines are limited to 2, and many people use them for a regular keyboard and a mouse.  I know; I've looked for the better part of a year as the machine I use is around 15 years old.  Putting an update out on a flash drive for distribution costs almost 400% more than using a DVD as the total size of all files, an interactive table of contents and other 'housekeeping' information currently runs a little over 1GB. 

I do update the database on my computer; the current version of the Handbook (1 revision level beyond what  Chris got from me the better part of a year ago) is Version 7 and I've found enough material to set up some new "departments" as part of the next update (Version 7.2). 

Jack Mueller,
KFOCI Historian and HANDBOOK editor

retroguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 02:47:33 PM »
Is version 7 of the handbook available on-line?  Where would I find it?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 08:59:54 PM »
Version 7 of KFOCI HANDBOOK was delivered to the Webmaster prior to May 1, 2021.  At the 2021 National Convention in Rochester NY the Webmaster informed me that he expected it to be up and running on the club website by Labor Day 2021. 

Like all of you reading this, I am still waiting for the material to appear; the only thing there is that it's coming soon...that's been there since summer 2021. 

Version 7.1 (actual designation since no structural change was made, only expansion of materials and updates to some existing files reflecting new information I got a hold of) runs about 1.2 GB of file space which includes a small amount of space for the interactive table of contents and a general welcome page.  I brought it to Rochester to show people what was (at least I thought it was) soon to come.  Few, if any people seemed interested in seeing it and trying it out. 

It would have to go out on a DVD type disc or at least a 2 GB flash drive.  The club doesn't have the money to send a flash drive to members and club management still wants it on the website as a members-only feature (which can work well) rather than take the place of 1 quarterly issue (I did get a quote and we would be within budget if this was done), probably the Spring issue of whatever year it got released.  So far, no interest that I know of (the thing would have to be re-quoted anyway due to passage of time). 

retroguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 03:31:16 PM »
I'd be happy to provide my own flash drive

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 12:08:17 PM »
Segments of the Handbook are being uploaded to the website ... the first 2 are available in "Members-Only Content" now:
GENERAL INFORMATION
FACTORY INFORMATION - WILLOW RUN
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

51ksrluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 12:39:39 AM »
Would it be possible that the handbook could be 'shared' on Dropbox with those that request it? I know bigger files can go on there, than can be emailed. Or if there is something like dropbox that can share it with everyone that has provided their email, or somehow to everyone that is a member. There must be a way now to share the file without hardware.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 12:40:41 AM »
a couple of points:

1.  I don't do dropbox, whatever that is.

2.  We have a password controlled, members only area of the current club website (we moved it more than a year ago) that works just fine for what is there so far.  The first 2 of the 62 "departments" that make up the current state of the Handbook are there and more are coming but it will be in stages.  Consult the Webmaster of the KFOCI for more info on this.

3.  Home computers no longer have CD drives to play the material back on; people are moving to the "cloud" whatever that is (and no, I don't want to know what it is) which is why memory storage on computers (which got as high as 1 Terrabyte or 1,000 GigaBytes) has dropped substantially of late.

4.  Home computers no longer have the number of USB ports they used to; now most have only 2 ports, intended for use of keyboards and a mouse. 

I know this as I was checking out currently available units to replace Barbara's computer.

larryk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2022, 07:26:01 AM »
'53 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
'63 Chevy Impala (Wife's car)
'73 Datsun 240Z F Prepared autocross
'76 Datsun 280Z
'13 Fiat 500 Abarth
KFOCI # 16269

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 07:59:58 AM »
"We have a password controlled, members only area of the current club website (we moved it more than a year ago) that works just fine for what is there so far."

What is wrong with this??   Looks good to me! 😀

Mike
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 02:58:11 PM by mbflemingkf »
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

51ksrluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2022, 10:17:06 PM »
Oh, thank you. I hadn't noticed those two sections in Members Only Content, but I see them now. That's great!