Author Topic: KF Judging tips  (Read 6359 times)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
KF Judging tips
« on: April 19, 2007, 12:31:03 AM »
Although most of us don't have perfectly restored cars and have our Kaiser Frazer, or Willys product vehicle because we like them for one reason or another (and there are plenty of good reasons!) the majority of us try to maintain our cars as best as possible and with parts that are available.  If you are seriously into judging than this message is for you.  Here are some little known facts that pertain to all  makes of American cars of the 1946 -1955 era.  There were no white wall tires on any cars sold in 1946 and they were generally not available until late in 1947.  The tire industry went all out trying to produce tires by the millions but did not catch its' breath long enough to start making white walls again until much later.  Kaiser and Frazer used 6:50 x 15 tires for the cars made in 1946 and 1947 but since that size has not been available by any tire maker for 50 years,  6:70 x 15 blackwall is an acceptable substitute.  7:10 x 15 tires were announced as a new improvement for the 1948 KF products and were used thru 1950 on Kaisers and 1951 on Frazers.  If you are going to use whitewall tires be sure to specify 4.25 inch sidewalls as any less width are aftermarket tires and are not correct.  Be sure that all five tires are matching and that they have tubes and metal not plastic valve caps.  Tubeless tires did not appear until 1957 and they as well as radial tires are incorrect for our cars.  The tire industry changed to a narrower whitewall in 1954 so a whitewall width of approximately 2.5 inches is correct thru 1955.  Kaiser went to 6:70 x 15 tires with the announcement of the new 1951 cars and maintained that size thru 1955.  These whitewall sizes do not pertain to Henry J or Willys vehicles.  Chrome gas filler guards were never an authorized accessory on any Kaiser Frazer vehicle nor were the aftermarket hood ornaments made for the 1947-48 cars.  Fender skirts on 47-48 cars too will get you in trouble with the judges.  Sealed beam headlights with the three aiming tips did not appear until about 1957 so only the plain ones are correct.  Windshield wiper blades used on flat windshields should not be the flex type as they were made for the curved windshields.  Use the straight non flexible types.  If your car has accessories like radio, heater, fog lights, spot lights, underhood or trunk lights be prepared to show that they are in operable working condition.  Accessories that were released for a car that was made later than your car are incorrect even though made by Kaiser Frazer.  A couple of examples are 1952 continental kits installed on a 1951 car or wire wheels used on a car that was not made when the wire wheels were announced.  Nit Picky?  You bet but that is what judging is all about.  I only hit on a few items and if you have others to share or any comments I would be pleased to hear them.  Gordie
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: KF Judging tips
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 10:40:10 PM »
Gordie is correct with a few additions....

When Goodyear announced the "Super Cushion low pressure tires in 1948 (Goodyear was the prime vendor for tires at Kaiser-Frazer) for some reason their conversion chart shows that when it is time to replace 6.50 x 15 tires, use 7.70 x 15's.  However, I do agree that 6.70 x 15 is a good replacement.

I disagree with the fact that an accessory has to work, PROVIDED the item is correct for the make/year/series, installed correctly and has all the appropriate related items (such as proper type fender mount antenna with radios). 

Jack Mueller
Club Historian
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 07:17:23 PM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 08:56:20 PM »
Hello Jack,  thanks for the good comments.  Don't you think that 7:70x15 is a misprint?  I do not believe that size was ever made and none of the modern tire suppliers offer it.  6:70x15 seems the logical replacement for 6:50x15.  Accessories when first installed on our cars were in working order.  Why should they be correct if broken or inoperable at judging time?  Other clubs insist that they be in working order if installed on the car.

I saw one of your judging guidelines and it is great.  It tells what is correct and  incorrect for each model of our cars from the Graham Paige Frazers right thru to the 1955 Kaisers.  I was really impressed with all of the information included and you did a fantastic job.  If we are ever going to get correct information out to car owners, judges or even to enthusiasts those guidelines are the way to do it.  Things have changed since ten or fifteen years ago and as our cars climb in value authenticity becomes very important and guide lines are critical for showing what is correct for each model car and accessory.  You have done a wonderful job on those guidelines and they need to get out to the members for final comments and additions and corrections.  How about it guys and gals, wouldn't you love to have accurate information for your car?  How can we get them started?  Will you help review them for your year and model.  Let's hear from you!  Gordie
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 07:20:30 AM »
Whoops...my update on the 7.70 x 15 tires appears in the other Judging related topic in this area of the forum.  They were made at least through the late 1970's.  How I know this is in that other posting.