Author Topic: Engine swap information for early KF cars  (Read 1506 times)

Jester76

• View Profile
    • Email
Engine swap information for early KF cars
« on: November 05, 2020, 02:42:21 PM »
At the risk of being lambasted for starting another thread on engine conversions, the 47-50 cars have a much smaller engine compartment and feel like a separate thread is warranted to consolidate information.  Engine swaps for these cars is especially poignant as the bearings are becoming incredibly scarce and rebuilding may not be an option for long.
Any tips or advice from folks that have done swaps is greatly appreciated.  The natural desire for such heavy cars is a V8 but that appears to require major surgery to the firewall and steering column/shifter.  The inline sixes are almost worse due to the length and height.  What works and how was it accomplished? 

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Engine swap information for early KF cars
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 04:31:55 PM »
V-8 engines fit in 1949-50 Kaisers and Frazers without it being a major production and the engine compartment dimensions should be similar for 1947-50 model years. 

As for engine bearings, remember that the 226 was used in various 1954-62 model year Jeep products (226 engine). 

Jester76

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 06:36:35 PM »
On the 49, there is 31" from firewall to core support.  It appears that there is room in front of the core support for either the radiator or electric fans but not both, especially if you want to add an AC condenser.  I'm assuming that the firewall and transmission tunnel need to be reworked somewhat extensively and would love some firsthand tips. 
The steering column and shift linkage appear to be the bigger issue and I'm wondering how these were modified.  I know that it's been done so I'm just looking for the lessons learned.
FYI - The crank and thrust bearing location changed in 51 so there are different bearings for the early engines.  The later model parts are expensive but available, the early parts are rare.  Thank God for the Jeep guys or we wouldn't have any engine parts available.
I'm relatively new to these cars and there is a wealth of knowledge to be gained so please correct me if I quote incorrect information. 

konrad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 10:50:18 AM »
While the bearings may not be usable from those later 226 engines, I would think an engine swap with one of those later 226's would be possible without too much modification, though I don't know how easy modding to mate up to an existing transmission would be...

I know this doesn't answer your question, but just spitballing here on possible solutions to not being able to rebuild one of the early 226's...
51 Kaiser Deluxe

dogwalkfinds

• View Profile
    • dogwalkfinds
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 03:39:44 PM »
Bearings (and pretty much anything else) are pretty easy to get for Kaiser (Continental) 226 which was used for many agricultural and industrial applications for many years.
as a start try  https://www.jensales.com/categories/continental-engines/f226.html
or http://www.continentalengineparts.net/images/Continental_F226_Parts_List.pdf

'48 Frazer
'50 Dodge truck
'53 Plymouth
dogwalkfinds.blogspot.com

Jester76

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 11:49:44 PM »
The question originally was about how to fit an alternate engine in an early engine compartment.  Specifically, how do you deal with the steering column and shift linkage as it is only 8" from centerline and and V engine will have a conflict.   I assume that the column remains and the shifter is reconfigured for the new trans?
I've also looked at ohv inline sixes but the height doesn't work going into the firewall due to the wiper motor.  How much height is required for valve cover removal?  It looks like there is 24" of total height available from the bottom of the pan before you get into the wipers.  Given the space limitation on the driver's side next to the steering column, I assume that the only viable candidates have the exhaust on the passenger side. Is that correct?
I'm not looking for a hot rod but it would be really nice to make it up to freeway speeds.
I hate to even mention modern engines as the are so tragic to look at and sound lame but the 4.0L Ford 60 degree V6 and the 3.5L GM Atlas inline 5 cylinder from the Colorado appear to have ideal dimensions and adequate power.  A supercharged Buick 3.8L or Chevy 4.3 V6 would also avoid surgery to the firewall but will still conflict with the steering.   Thoughts on modern engines?  Is the trade-off for reliability and practicality worth it?

william shippy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 01:13:38 PM »
traveler,
   "one of the easiest conversions years ago was the 49-53 Ford/Mercury flat head"
 Do you have info on this swap?
 Pictures?
 What motor mount/water pump did you use?
 Where did the front of the motor sit?
 I have a 49 merc I'd love to see in my Frazer with an ford AOD Trans.
 William

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 02:44:36 PM »
Although I'm also a Ford flathead lover I hardly see much advantage to a flathead swap.  226s or at least my Willys has 110 HP.  Ford flatheads are rated at 100 to 110, and Mercuys 125.  Nailhead Buick 401 cu in, 445 ft lbs torque, 300 hp.  Narrow easy fit.  Be novel and use a late Flite Pitch Dynaflow or bullet proof TH400.  At least that's my fantasy.
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.