Author Topic: MOTOROLA RADIO  (Read 690 times)

51ksrluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
MOTOROLA RADIO
« on: October 23, 2023, 01:02:11 AM »
Anyone have any info on these Motorola radios? I saw in earlier posts that they were not original to the cars. Someone mentioned that the faceplates may have even been aftermarket to resemble the original designs, but to suit the arrangement of the Motorola radio. I need wiring diagrams and/or model number, etc. I don't spot a model number on it yet, but haven't tried to remove it. Are there knobs and push-buttons available someplace? I do want to get it back operational though. Feel free to personal message me if preferred. Any info is appreciated.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: MOTOROLA RADIO
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 05:02:36 PM »
The only info I have on them is they are Motorola and were made specifically for KF products.  As far as knobs/buttons go, there was a website that sold antique radio parts that I had bookmarked but now the bookmark doesn't work.  If I find another site, I'll post it on here.  Regardless, I can probably make the radio you have work.  Let me know if you want to have that done.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 06:24:48 AM »
Here's the GE unit that KF used in the early production 51s. The GE unit would have been original equipment with the Motorola being an aftermarket unit.

51ksrluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 04:09:37 PM »
Thank you so much for this information and the photo. To add to the mystery, I am attaching a picture of the radio that was left for me in the trunk. It seems to be similar yet different to the one in your picture joefrazer. 5 buttons and the knob placement is slightly different. And the dial numbers are different. The sticker/label says it is model 100170. I wonder if this a stock radio out of a Kaiser+Frazer model car? Or if it was yet another aftermarket version? It looks most similar to the GE one in your picture.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 06:33:28 AM »
When the supply of GE radios was exhausted, KF switched to a Delco unit which is the one in the latest photo. This same radio was used thru the end of production in 1955, but in 1954, the push buttons were changed to black and the knobs went to black plastic with chromes inserts.

1951 Kaisers with the GE radio have a bump out in the firewall to accommodate the longer chassis, once the Delco radio was used, the bump out was removed.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 08:32:12 AM »
There's one other change to the '54 model year radios.  The "Emergency Broadcast" station (Conelrad) marks were added to the glass dial face.  They are the little triangles, one pointing upward to the right of "55" and one pointing downward just above "120."  Interesting remnants of the cold war.  The '51 - '53 version does not have those.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

51ksrluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2023, 10:11:46 AM »
Thank you both. This is fascinating information! I have to decide which one to repair now. The Motorola that's in it looks better, but I don't know about the innards.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2023, 07:04:39 AM »
Thank you both. This is fascinating information! I have to decide which one to repair now. The Motorola that's in it looks better, but I don't know about the innards.
I had the innards of graded to modern day  250 w, 5 channel, am/f/m with aux input which I feed XM  into
pricey but well worth it

51ksrluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2023, 01:00:51 PM »
Interesting, might be a good time to do all that.

51ksrluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2023, 01:03:28 PM »
Been checking around online this morning. I don't see any of the 'ivory' colored buttons or knobs. I don't see them in the quarterly either. Does anyone know if they might be available someplace?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2023, 06:01:07 AM »
Your radio is an aftermarket Motorola. The buttons and knobs from the GE unit will more than likely not fit. It might be easier to switch to a GE unit than find parts for yours.