Author Topic: 1949 Kaiser Special for sale on E-Bay starting 6/10-3 p.m. CST-Removed from EBay  (Read 3934 times)

johny

• View Profile
    • Email
If you are searching for a great looking, well maintained '49 Kaiser check out the E-Bay listing starting on 6/10 at 3 p.m. CST. If you have any questions call me at 630-428-0984 or e-mail me @jspatti@aol.com.  Member #10223.

I am pleased to write that my son has bought out my partner, who wanted to sell, and he and I will be able to enjoy the car together.   The car, in my humble opinion, is one of the better looking Kaisers I have ever seen thanks to the great body work done by Don Pribble.  I have received so many compliments in such a short period of time I can hardly believe it yet I feel almost guilty accepting the compliments as they should be directed towards Don for all the fine work he did on the car.  Thanks Don for selling this beauty to me and now I can enjoy it with my son.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:10:32 AM by johny »

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1949 Kaiser Special for sale on E-Bay starting 6/10-3 p.m. CST
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 08:13:28 AM »
Those interested in this car should note the following points

1.  Paint is wrong color - Specials were not two toned

2.  These cars did NOT come with fender script or the 1951 Kaiser glove box "K" crests on the lower part of the roof panel

3.  The Parts & Accessory Bulletin announcing availability of factory fender skirts to dealers for their installation indicated that the skirts were NOT intended by the factory for use on Special models

4.  inside door panels as shown in the photo of same are not right for the car

It should also be noted that the seller does NOT represent the car as being original correct condition.  It is a very nice looking car, but could end up with significant point deductions for judging
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 08:15:50 AM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 08:56:49 AM »
Is the upholstery correct?  I am not very familiar with earlier (pre-1951) upholstery choices.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 12:35:14 PM »
As a 49 Special owner, that car as pointed out is in no way correct. The seat material and door panels are quite different from the original.

Something else--it is a Special, with wide white, sun visor, OVERDRIVE (not available on a Special in 49), clock, radio (???), two-tone paint, fender skirts and near perfect chrome and paint. In essence, it is a Deluxe in every way except the name, and a pretty darn nice one at that.

It looks like a fabulous driver with all the work done, and who cares about judging anyway? It is easily 'worth' the opening bid in my opinion.

KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 08:18:16 AM »
During the latter part of the 1949-50 model year, Kaiser-Frazer started offering overdrive as an option on Kaiser Special models.  The item was offered first on Travelers with regular 4-door sedans getting the option a bit later.  Most 1949 Special 4-door sedans were built before Overdrive became a factory option.

hollenway

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 09:38:53 AM »
This car was redone by Don Pribble from Fairmont, Illinois.  In my book - Don is the GOLD STANDARD when it comes to being an honest, upstanding gentleman.  He does an exceptional job when he builds his cars.  And while there may be a few "liberties" with originality,  there will never be any question that the work on the car will be first rate.  I currently have over 40 K/F cars and have been involved with these automobiles my entire life as my Uncle was a dealer.  If you are even thinking about buying this car - rest assured...... it is everything it is advertised and more.  When Don did this car he did it right.  Ask anyone who knows me - You can't buy my endorsement - you need to earn it........  and Don Pribble has it.  I bought a 54 Manhattan from this man and it was absolutely the best antique car I've ever bought - hands down.  Everything he told me about the car was 100% when it was delivered.   Dave Hollen - Hollenway Kaiser Frazer - Glasgow Pa.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 07:43:48 AM »
I have no doubts from the pictues that the work done to the car was top notch.  Not being familiar with the mechanical condition I cannot speak on that other than to say that I would expect the quality of workmanship to be same as on the outside of the car.  It is a very nice looking vehicle and indeed is presentable...it's done as the owner would like it, not necessarily 100% factory off the line original.

More and more cars presented for sale at auctions have been turned away by the auction companies because histories, pedigrees, etc cannot be documented to prove owner claims about condition or ownership on these vehicles.  RM Auctions in particular has good guidelines on requirements for proof of seller statements.  If you really dig into a number of the eBay sales you will find the seller states they are actually "agents" for the real owner of the car.  These agents state they are listing the information given to them by the seller and take no responsibility for incorrect info being posted. 

I have seen too many people buy old cars--not just Kaiser-Frazer products--believing that they have a factory correct automobile only to find out to their dismay that they have nice presentable cars that are not right color, upholstery, trim details, etc.   A good example of this is the 1954 Kaiser Manhattan sold by a well known member of the KFOCI in the 1980's.  This original car had an aftermarket top oiler installed on it and the buyer believed it to be a rare Kaiser-Frazer option.  After finding out the truth, that car was never seen at a meet again.

Manhattan Man

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 09:07:11 AM »
To all those that read the Forum:  I'd like to thank Dave Hollen for defending my good name and reputation.

There is a lot of us out there who really enjoy our cars and want to make them as individual and reflect our own personalities as we can.  Believe me there is a lot more to owning and enjoying a vehicle than "always" worring about "points and judging".  I am on the same page as those who would like to see the judging stopped.  Let us enjoy our cars instead of arguing over "mine is better than yours".

I graduated from high school in 1950 and was fortunate enough to own my own 1948 Frazer Manhattan.  I just wanted to revisit my younger days with the '49 Kaiser, so I restored it to the same specifications, two-tone color, skirts, visor, fog lights, etc, as my Frazer did some 61 years ago.  I'm not sorry if I offened some of the K/F purists out there, but I figured it was my car and I could do what ever I wanted to do and I did.  Wasn't trying to fool anyone. 

Thanks once again to my good friend Dave Holllen.  Manhattan Man

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 11:29:02 AM »
No need to defend you--your excellent reputation precedes you.

I'll stand by my earlier comments--It wasn't in any way original as a Special, it looked very well done, and it looked to be a fabulous driver with all the work done, and easily worth the opening price.

Now that I know the "fuller" story, same comments times 5.
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard