Author Topic: Never seen one like this  (Read 3891 times)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Never seen one like this
« on: July 28, 2011, 09:07:35 AM »
For sale on ebay -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-KAISER-SPECIAL-1948-Kaiser-Special-RARE-Drives-And-Looks-GREAT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a689b76beQQitemZ250863122110QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

I always find it interesting that sellers promote cars by saying "In a private collection for years..." as if that somehow makes a better car out of it. I'm not criticising this car, only questioning that style of promotion, which was used in the ad for it.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

porsche1914

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Never seen one like this
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 10:08:36 AM »
Two tail pipes one exhaust pipe. I guess not a split manifold, but it does look racy from the rear.
1951 Henry J Deluxe

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:15:03 AM »
I really like this car, with this particular two-toning. Of course, I've always loved the Pinconning Special because of its two-tone, not the two doors. Fender skirts look great on this car. As far as a split exhaust, I think it would really sound great with a split exhaust manifold, like the Studebaker sixes do. Has anyone split a KF exhaust manifold to get real dual exhaust???
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 12:41:13 PM »
The problem is with the X frame, how do you get two exhaust pipes to the back bumper? I would recommend a single exhaust with the proper muffler. Once you go over the rear axle you cut the tailpipe and install a wye pipe for a dual exhaust look. Back in 50's we used Smitty steel pack mufflers for a great sound. This was common on Darrins also. My 51' sounded like the Ford flat heads. At that time you could buy the wye pipe assembly from J.C. Whitney. Any real exhaust shop could do this.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 01:04:14 PM »
I have read the description and looked at the pictures.  I don't think there is enough space here to list all the incorrect items (such as upholstery, interior paint, door panels WRONG!) on the car.  That said, it is a very nice looking automobile, and while 1948 Kaiser Specials were never two-toned, the application looks good from the pictures and was well though out.  The fender skirts are not KF but a lot of aftermarket companies pitched skirts to K-F dealers since the factory did not.  It is clear that who ever did the car up did so to suit their tastes and ignored original.  This is the individuals choice;  we all know how it will affect car value. 

porsche1914

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 01:36:03 PM »
I'm splitting the manifold on my '51 J, but I don't have an x-frame to contend with. I really like the sound as I remember, when I was a kid, a '48 Chevy running around town with a split manifold. I would put baseball cards in the spokes of my bike to get a sound like that, I always said I would have a car like that someday.
I did have a '50 Ford with dual glass packs and the sound was close but not like a split manifold.
1951 Henry J Deluxe

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »
Hey!  That's a good looking car for that money.  I hope someone of us bids on it.  Wrong or not it is a good looking driver that has had a lot of money spent on it.  Very interesting skirts with the dip in the front and isn't that a 1947 Chevy hood ornament?
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 07:03:34 PM »
I remember this Henry J, which was displayed at Auburn in 2004, had a dual exhausts

http://www.henryjcars.com/hjc25/auburn2/haroldg/har.html

I don't know if I'd call it a split manifold but he did have two outlets on it, a second one he welded on in front of the original. You can kind of see it in the second photo from the top.
I remember the owner told us he did the conversion when he was in highschool. Ah, the days when people could customize their cars. That seems a thing of the past now.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:05:31 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 06:12:37 PM »
I've been watching this one and a couple of guys are now fighting over it and the price is now over $4,000.  It looks like someone will end up with a nice car!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 08:37:41 PM »
Ah, the days when people could customize their cars. That seems a thing of the past now.

Not a thing of the past for me.
KFOCI #9798