Author Topic: Converting to 12 volts, rewiring and switching to negative ground  (Read 1953 times)

chainsawedfingers

• View Profile
    • Email
Im just curious to see who has done a 12 volt conversion.
This winter, Im going to rewire and convert to 12volt on my 48 kaiser spacial using a kit from ez wire.
Who else has done this and are there any tips? This is my first 12 volt conversion

kaiservagabond

• MSN Messenger - kvagabond@geusnet.com
    • View Profile
Re: Converting to 12 volts, rewiring and switching to negative ground
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 03:57:33 PM »
Helo Chainsaw.  I did a conversion on my 50 Model Vagabond some 5 years ago.  Had no problems what so ever.  I put an a/c in my ca and thats 's why I went to 12V.  During the change over I used the original wiring but on the intruments I did add on a voltage regulator.. All the 51's and up have them and they are readily available from a parts store.  As my car has a 3 speed with o/d used all of the original relays, o/d solenoid, horns, horn relay, and starter.  It isn't necessary to change these over to 12V.  I did eventually install a GM 55 Amp alternator and put in a 12 V bat\tery.  Changed the cil, I used one with a built in resistor to carry the 12v load from NAPA.  Changed all of the light bulbs and that was about it.  Remember that the wiring in a 6volt system is larger than what is in a 12volt system, That's why the 12v will work with 6volt wiring.Have any questions please contact me, ok?  Thanks and good luck, Richard

You'll be amazed as to how quick the engine starts after you make the change.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 08:35:16 PM »
Are you saying you left the original starter in?

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 06:04:58 PM »
On my 12 volt conversaon ,I kept the 6v starter,but I changed the battery lead from the stock 0 or 1 ga. To a 4 Ga. In hopes some of that 12 volts would drop on the cable. I used a 12 volt o.d solenoid from a 55 Ford and a $6.00 D.P.D.T 12v relay from ebay for the O.D.

I will never again make a 12v conversion. I converted my ALLSTATE fron stock generator to a 6v positive ground ,60 amp.alternator . Quick and easy.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.