Author Topic: Where to find a 1:18 scale model of Kaiser 4 door sedan  (Read 5892 times)

KFCAR

• View Profile
    • Email
Where to find a 1:18 scale model of Kaiser 4 door sedan
« on: November 27, 2012, 12:50:34 PM »
Have searched Google and only a couple of sites come up.....one :-'DIECASTFAST.COM"showed five Kaisers in choice of colors but in 2 door only.  BUT, nowhere on the site was there an Order form, nor prices, nor any email address to the company.

One company: Highway 61 is Wholesale only and suggest try a retail outlet.

Another site had one but "out of stock'".

Have I missed wide availabliliy by 10 years or so???!!!1

If anyone knows of a site that has them in stock would love to hear from you.
LEN Vancouver, Canada

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where to find a 1:18 scale model of Kaiser 4 door sedan
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 02:53:17 PM »
Hi,

Highway 61 offered the 1953 Kaiser Manhattan 2-door Club Sedan in different colors including a two tone.  The 1:18th scale cars were offered a few years ago but turn up on eBay from time to time (the green monotone color has the least amount of tooling flaws, mainly around the doors).

A Chinese-based toy maker got a hold of tooling for the 2-doors (there was more than one set of production tooling, or at least seems to have been) and did attempt to make a 4-door 1953 Dragon out of it.  I have pictures of the sample prototypes in an upcoming FROM THE HISTORIAN column for the monthly newsletter.  When you see the photos you will see why the toy company abandoned the project.
The Chinese company indicated that they were assured by the owner of the car used for tooling measurements to make the 2-door's die set that the 4-door version of the Kaiser had the same body, just cut out for the rear doors.

There are also various 1/43 scaled 4-door Kaisers and even a Frazer Manhattan convertible but they get very pricey.

KFCAR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 10:34:34 PM »
Thanks for the two replies.  As a 'newbie', I appreciate them.
Will also try ebay more often.

Where is " From the Historian column?"  Don't see it.

LEN in Vancouver. (years ago in my neighborhood, there were two Kaisers....one a "Traveller', the other a 4 door......Wasn't really keen at the time or would have taken photos or met owners.

This comment is pretty obvious to you longtime regulars but, I was astounded to find on the Net a huge site of the Argentina  (?) enthusiasts.
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/10/sorting-the-real-sandy-photos-from-the-fakes/264243/

Wonder if any cars  or parts imported from there by Americans.   Lots of individual Kaiser enthusiasts who post photos and comments and own and restore the cars manufactured there.

Had a neighbor in late '40's who had the first Fraser I ever saw.   I didn't have a drivers license but when admiring it to the owner, he said would you wash it for me?  I said sure...HE SAID  DRIVE it around the front where there is a hose!  I gulped, and somehow drove it there!   So, nice memory to drive the Fraser.  Neighbor moved away later...and car.

KFCAR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:30:05 PM »
To member: KAISERFRASERLIBRARY.
You mentioned you have photos of the prototype Kaiser 4 door sedan by a Chinese company.
AND that it was planned to be in an upcoming Monthly Bulletin.....(Noted announcement of a new Editor, and unlikely to show the photos as planned in the "FROM THE HISTORIAN" Dept. which may  not continue).

Any possibkility the photos could be shown on this site...OR, emailed to one - (ME) -who would love to see them?

LEN

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 05:50:13 AM »
Attached is the FROM THE HISTORIAN column originally slated to run in February 2013's issue.  If you look carefully at the rear roof line, it comes down more abruptly than the 4-door sedan does.  This is something the toy company picked up on along with the fact that the front doors (the 2-door type) were not the same as the 4-door.  Thankfully, the company had the good sense to realize their mistake and not put the version into production.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:54:05 AM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

KFCAR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 02:56:20 PM »
Thanks for showing the attempted 4 door Kaiser model.  Guess the company was not too keen to produce one as they would have learned the flaws in the prototype were quickly apparent.

So, I may have to buy the 2 door model unless a 4 door one (surprisingly) makes an appearence.

It seems to me that no company did offer a 4 door model.

Len in Vancouver.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »
Len,

You are correct; so far there have been on 1:18th scale 4-door 1953 Kaisers that I know of.  The closest we get is the approx. 1/24th scale 1953 slush cast bank from Banthrico that K-F dealers could order for give-aways.  For a little extra you could get two-tone paint and a decal with the dealer's name, address and phone number on it.  This was applied to the roof.

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 04:33:20 PM »
A few years ago, R&R Resin did a "kit" of a '53 Kaiser Manhattan. They also did a kit of the Darrin, but with a generic chassis with dual exhaust, etc. These are both 1/24 - 1/25 scale and are cast well. They still pop up on Ebay from time to time.

Gary.

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 04:51:35 PM »
Again, not 1/18th scale, but...www.resinrealm.net shows a few Kaiser kits, they even show a transporter! The site says you can inquire at 1 402 896 4379, or email stevekohler@cox.net.

Gary.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 05:51:51 PM »
Toy Founders in Detroit made a plastic 4 door 49-50K convertible wind up model that's close to 1/18 scale.

Here's a link to a recently ended ebay auction...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kaiser-Sport-Convertible-3-speed-working-Toy-Founders-box-Wind-up-/261117119834

Curiously, the box art depicts a car with a 1948 grille.

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 08:08:57 AM »
That's the one I started a thread about back on Oct. 24th in the cars for sale and wanted section of this forum. It was sold, hopefully to a deserving club member! I was not the seller!

Gary.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 08:26:14 PM »
The Toy Founders box does show the 1947-8 style car but the ads illustrate the 1949 style.  Gama of Germany made a nice 1951 four door that was 8 1/4" long with a plastic body and a tin base and interior with a friction motor.  Mine is red with silver trim and a green and red plaid front seat and a green dash with white plastic steering wheel.  They also made a taxi version.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom