Author Topic: starting after long period of storage  (Read 2157 times)

709karl

• View Profile
    • Email
starting after long period of storage
« on: December 18, 2012, 07:17:09 PM »
They say that there are no stupid questions. My Kaiser hasn't been started in several years (old story) and today I finally got it running! Before it's period of rest, I put Magic Mystery Oil (or whatever it's called)  in all cylinders (plug openings) & in the oil.  Almost everything is new. When started, it ran smoothly BUT billows of gray smoke continuously were emitted from the exhaust...I mean billows. To cloud up the area and kept on while running for about 5 minutes!  My question for you motor types, is it the MMoil, a stuck ring, will it burn off, would an oil change solve it?  I'd like to know the answer before smoking up the neighborhood again!  Any educated advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Karl

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: starting after long period of storage
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 11:04:52 PM »
Five minutes seems long enough for it to clear out. I would start it up and run it five minutes
more. If it is still smoking badly after that, shut it off and let it cool down and then look at the plugs.
If you find a wet oily plug, it may be a ring issue and I would then take it out and drive it on the
highway for 10 mi or more and it may clear up. This happened to me with my '65 Marlin with the
327ci V8, (no, not a chevy, a Packard 327ci V8).

709karl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 11:31:36 PM »
good suggestion, will do, anyone else have additional thoughts,   Thanks! 

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 12:18:16 PM »
Letting the engine run out for 5-10 minutes than rolling down a highway (preferable speed 40 mph, somewhat deserted road and watching all gages closely for anything that seems even a bit out of normal) for at least 10 miles is what my brother and I did with my first K-F product that sat for several years in storage before I got it.  We had a valve issue and used MMO to get things working smoother so we did not have to tear the engine apart unless we really had to. 

Aside.  The AMC 327 engine of the 1960's was not PACKARD.  AMC engineers took the original 290 V8 platform they brought out in 1955 and bored it out for the larger displacement.  The 290 was based on the late 1940's Kaiser-Frazer V-8 engine project.  The lead engineers on the K-F program took their work with them after they got jobs at Nash Motors c.1951.  It was when they tried to duplicate the motor at Nash that they realized the original design concepts were not practical and re-vamped the entire design.  That's why it took almost 5 years to get a V-8 into production over there. 

709karl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 01:06:40 PM »
...started it again this a.m.  It ran smoothly with less clouds of gray smoke and more blueish (a word?) heavy exhaust until the gas ran out in about 5 minutes.  None of the plugs showed any oil only a little black and basically pretty clean...a good sign. The brakes still need work so a drive is not possible as of now but I'm thinking a next step is new oil (w/o MMO, maybe STP) and more time running in place. I really want to get the car back in motion.   Thanks again and all experiences or ideas welcome.   Karl

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 12:13:52 AM »
kaiserfrazerlibrary: When I worked in a gas station in the early 60's, a customer came in with a
Rambler and asked me to check the oil. I believe it was a '57 the first year of the "fins". What a
surprise when I opened the hood as saw this V8 stuffed in there. He said it was a 327 and was
not a Chevy. It had a 4bbl and factory duals and burned premium. He said it was a Rebel which
if I remember correctly was a name Rambler reused in the 70's. He said he bought it new and
the salesman said it was a Packard motor. Does this make any sense or is it the motor you
described earlier? It was the first and only Rebel I ever saw from the 50's.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 04:38:11 PM »
kaiserfrazerlibrary, Wikipedia states that AMC used Packard engines only in 1955. After that they
used their own in-house Kaiser based design.If this Rebel had a Packard engine in'57 in may have
been a left over Packard, but then it would be 352ci not 327ci. Weird.