Author Topic: Upholstring the Dash  (Read 952 times)

cplne

• View Profile
    • Email
Upholstring the Dash
« on: February 10, 2013, 10:30:50 AM »
While I have all the wiring out I might as well take the dash in and have it reupholstered.  I will call SMS tomorrow and see how long it is going to take for the Bamboo vinyl.  Anything I need to be aware of taking the dash out other than dust and rotten vinyl in the eyes?

Thanks

Mark

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
Re: Upholstring the Dash
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 10:51:46 AM »
I dont think you will find the dash will come out.  It is welded in place.  It would be much easier to replace the dash padding with the windshield removed but you don't have to. 
1. Remove the windshield inside molding. 
2. You will find some little screws at the windshield edge of the dash covering. 
3. Screws go through a canvas strip with a steel rod secured by the screws. 
4. You will need a fine tipped philips screw drive that is not more that 1 1/4 long.  Snap On has a rachet handle that holds those short screw bits ... it worked great. 
5. Speedo cluster must be removed.   
6. Radio Speaker cover must be removed. 
7. Lower section of the dash including the glove box must be unbolted and dropped at least a inch. 
8. The dash padding is pulled and hook over little claws between the upper and lower dash ...  unhook the lower edge and the dash covering will come off.
9.  I had an upholstery shop sew up the new one with SMS Bambu Vinyl and had them do the reinstall.  I did not want a pucker. 
10.  They replaced the 1/2 of dense cotton batting on the dash as well because it had a pucker in it that was visible through the stretched vinyl.
11.  Now reinstall the lower section to the dash including the glove box.

I know I must have missed steps but someone will point those out.

Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

cplne

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Upholstring the Dash
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »
Thanks Jim

This really saves me a lot of time and effort.  I am heading to the hangar to get started on it right now.

Mark