Author Topic: Who is our new President...... ???  (Read 8977 times)

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Who is our new President...... ???
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 07:37:02 PM »
When ever the KF Board and General Membership agreed on changes to membership terms or rates, it was insisted that the changes had to be posted prior to becoming effective. Hence, the earliest a dues increase could become effective would be with the August Bulletin.
Contrast this with the Studebaker Drivers Club. They decided to end Life Memberships and decided it was effective upon a favorable vote of their Board. If they had used the same practice as the KFOCI, I would have been a LM of both the KFOCI and SDC.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 07:57:09 PM »
Actually, it seems to me that the earliest figure I have seen for a LM was $150 and that was in the late 1960s. The price went up to $200 and I saw an incidence of the Secretary allowing a member to pay 2 installments of $100. It later went up to $250 and that was when I paid (That was more than the combined price of my 1st 2 KFs). Dick & Karen Harder were Secretary/Treasurer and interest rates on CDs were climbing at the time.
My thought was that I was paying 10 years in advance, but I expected the regular dues to increase in 6 to 8 years. So several people had the same line of reasoning at that time. 
From what I saw of the Membership records, LMs were 8 to 12% of total membership. 
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 11:37:36 PM »
As a long-time life member and proud of it, I do not want to lose my life membership in the club. I believe I paid $150 about 25 years ago. It was a great investment. It served two purposes - proof that I was committed to my favorite club and that I was cheap, hedging my bets that I would live long enough to enjoy my great savings. I figure it works out to about $6 per year so far and the cost is still going down.
The suggestion that we grandfather in old members and discontinue new ones might be workable. Mike Barker made a suggestion at the National this year (actually many suggestions): "Could all life members and foreign members be required to get the bulletin email as a measure to help contain costs?"
Taking that a step farther, if the LM's and the foreign members still want hard copy mailed to them, they should pay for it. I've been receiving my Bulletins as email since it was first offered. Now how do I balance my Quarterlies, Calendars and Rosters? Perhaps a reduced fee for life members?
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 04:34:53 AM »
There have been many discussions about ending the Life Member program.  I don't claim to have been in all of them but those I was involved in covered taking no further LM applications.  ALL EXISTING LIFE MEMBERS as of a date to be determined (the cut-off for new applications to be accepted) would remain LM's.   We cannot dissolve their status legally as I understand the club Constitution and/or By-Laws.

Second, I suggest those wanting to force overseas members to take publications only electronically should be aware that unless we do this for ALL Life Members, at home and abroad, we are discrimating against members because of their country of residence/origin.  Doing this to overseas memb ers only is in violation of the non-discrimination clauses in our rules and regulations. 

Check the facts for yourself.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 07:05:10 AM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 01:04:01 PM »
Re: the comment about only 100 voting members, that is because members must be present to vote, which I have expressed in other parts of this forum my objection to.  I did attend the meet in Kerville, Texas, because it was close to me, but for those of us with kids in school, it can be very hard to get away, even if we would like to.