Author Topic: Hood Props?  (Read 1587 times)

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
Hood Props?
« on: February 06, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »
I've read on here several times (and noticed it on my own car) that the hood hinges on KF products don't seem to last very long or be all that strong. Has anyone ever improvised or built a prop to hold them open at shows? There's the obvious solution of sticking a board in there but I'm thinking something a bit more safe and secure, not to mention better looking. I built a locking hood prop for my side-opening Buick hood. It was absolutely necessary when I moved up here to Michigan as the wind in the summer time can get pretty crazy! Had my hood blow off of the stock prop and slam a couple of times at shows. Didn't want some kid to get his fingers removed so I designed a prop. I think I'll end up doing the same for my Kaiser but was wondering if anyone has been there and done that? 
Robert Trail
Former Tech. Article Editor Buick Bugle Magazine
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1952 Buick Special Deluxe (Lucy)
1951 Packard 300

R-Sargent

• 51 Kaiser 2dr sedan , 51 Frazer Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hood Props?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 10:43:54 PM »
Before I replaced the hinges on my 51K I used a Chevy van prop rod. They are the perfect length .

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 01:08:35 PM »
Thanks for the Chevy prop info. What i have found, out is springs loose there tension over time and the pins wear enough to give additional slack where the hinge will not support the hood and the very heavy hood ornament when removed lets the hood stay up.So we're only talking about 3-4 pounds and the insulation under the hood holds moisture and oil adding weight. What to do???? about it?

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 10:57:29 PM »
Seems that in the past I have worked "shims" of adhesive backed steel tape between bearing surfaces and this has tightened things up enough to help. As you say, it doesn't take a lot of extra drag. In the same manner, lubricating these area will make it want to close on any occasion.

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 09:59:11 AM »
Some years back I had hinges that sagged badly . I took off the hinges , placed them on a large vise ( any heavy steel object would work ) , took a large round ended punch and large hammer and tightened the rivits that hold the assemble together . It worked on that set of hinges but I guess it would depend on how badly worn they were .