Author Topic: Things to Consider for Judging Standards  (Read 3068 times)

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Things to Consider for Judging Standards
« on: January 05, 2010, 09:25:21 PM »
As promised, here is the new topic for standards issues that people feel should be addressed or considered.  No promises are made that what you want will go into the final form, but it will be passed on to the team working on the particular type vehicle or involved in the issue you raise.

To get the ball rolling, here are some thoughts on accessories....
1.  The only issue I would have with factory branded accessories on cars is wether or not the item in question is correct for the model year/make of vehicle.  An example of something I would have a problem with is Sav-A-Battery filler caps on the battery of a 1949-50 Kaiser Vagabond.  K-F did not offer the option until late in the 1951 model year. 
2.  I have seen a number of excellent K-F products set up exactly as built with no options other than what came in the car's Accessory Group.  It is a matter of owner taste as to accessorize or not.
3.  Rather than give bonus points for how many (and what kind) of accessories you have on a car, I would like to see the bonus issue based on detail items...correct original supplier and type.   I hate to keep bringing up spark plugs, but it's a good example of "original" (the correct design type Auto-Lite plugs that are no longer made but can still be found at swap meets on occasion) vs. "acceptible" (some other make of proper heat range for application that is accepted for judging by the club).  No points off for Champion, but the guy with the Auto-Lite A-5 on a 1949 Kaiser should be given some kind of recognition for what he has in his car.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Things to Consider for Judging Standards
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 09:37:52 PM »
Remember...the intent of judging is to see how close the car being judged comes to the way it was originally built.  It is not a question of how many accessories you can put on a car, but how original the car is. 

In addition to determining how close people come to the original (and I am not talking an over restoration), judging needs to identify the weak or problem areas so car owners can determine what they need to do for upgrades, not just take off points without identifying just why the points were pulled.  An effort will be made in the standards to address the matter.  There is a lot of ground to cover in this project. 

If you are knowledgeable about a particular type vehicle covered by KFOCI Judging and want to help, please e-mail me at kaiserfrazerlibrary@yahoo.com.

Jack Mueller

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Things to Consider for Judging Standards
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:17:17 AM »
Spark Plugs on a 1951 Henry J and/or 1952 Henry J Vagabond

Advance SERVICE INFORMATION   Henry J 1951 MODELS - 513 * 514       12.5 M - August 1950    X-19504

Page 55 - Spark Plugs Auto-Lite AN7 Standard

1951 -1952-1953 SERVICE STANDARDS Henry J       7.5 - Nov. 1952        Form X19524

Page 17 - Spark Plugs: Type . . . . . Auto-Lite A-7 or equivalent

1951 -1952-1953 Henry J SHOP MANUAL                        12M - Nov. 1952      Form ???? (My copy is torn off here)

Page 192 - a. Spark Plugs: ....(Auto-Lite A-7 or equivalent).

AUTO-LITE SPARK PLUGS Specification Catalog        Form 1010-H 9-51  (I assume that the 9-51 stands for Sept 1951)

Page 8 - HENRY J 1951    Standard A7 - AN7    Resistor AR8
                                                NOTE -- The letter "N" has been discontinued in types AN5--AN5X--AN7--AN7X
                                                Present stocks of "N" types can be used for A5--A5X--A7--A7X respectively.

Page 4 - WHEN DO YOU RECOMMEND RESISTOR SPARK PLUGS?  Whenever spark plugs are replaced. Auto-Lite Resistor Plugs require no changes in standard ignition systems.

Page 6 - AUTO-LITE Type Equivalent & Heat Range Chart
                                                       AUTO-LITE SPARK PLUGS            Standard A7-AN7   Resistor AR8   Transport AT8
                                                       CHAMPION       J8
                                                       AC                45,  45 Com.

So based on the information above you would expect to find AN7 on early 1951 Henry Js. Then in late 1951 it would switch to A7 as stock of the AN7 would be exhausted. 1952 and on Henry J would be A7. If we accept Champion J8 (as I think we should given spark plugs are consumable items) we must also accept AC 45 or 45 com.

I am lucky enough to have AUTO-LITE A7 for my 1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe. I have spare spark plugs in Champion J8.

P.S. If anyone wants scanned copies of the above referenced pages of AUTO-LITE SPARK PLUGS Specification Catalog, Form 1010-H 9-51 I would be happy to email them to you. Please send your request to AZSteele123@aol.com.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:51:44 AM by AZ_HJ »
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe