Author Topic: Headlight question - 54 Kaiser  (Read 720 times)

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
Headlight question - 54 Kaiser
« on: March 12, 2016, 04:40:40 PM »
Guys, the gent that bought my 54 Manhattan a year ago called today.  He had just gotten home from a 400 car show in Ocala, FL and won "Best in Show."   He was happy...very happy!!!

He had a question too.  A couple of weeks ago he pulled the headlights on. heard a "pop" and no more headlights.  I told him I thought it might be the fuse on the back of the 54 switch but no reset and the lights still don't work.

I thought those things "reset" or something?   ???  Think it just blew and that's it?  Anyone have one for sale or is there a universal replacement switch and will it fit the bezel and knob?? 

Thanks for any advice...

KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

54manhattan13

• View Profile
Re: Headlight question - 54 Kaiser
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 08:50:28 PM »
Mike,

I am not real sure, but I believe that the headlight switch has an automatic reset if a short or other problem causes the headlights to go out.

While working on the lights on my '54 Manhattan we caused a dead short in the headlight circuit. This caused the lights to go out with an audible sound coming from the headlight switch. This happened several times until we located and eliminated the short.

The headlights now work as normal.