Author Topic: Removing upper door stainless  (Read 954 times)

IowaTom

Removing upper door stainless
« on: March 23, 2016, 05:55:10 AM »
I love the "gingerbread" Kaiser used on the upper doors of my Manhattan, but I'd like to remove them when I paint.  I have the inner door skin off but don't see any evidence of clips or screws.  I certainly don't want to bend these babies.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Removing upper door stainless
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 09:25:22 AM »
On the front doors there are two screws, one at each end that have to come off in order to remove the trim. The upper edge of the trim is lipped at the window opening and if memory serves is held in place by the same fasteners that hold the cats whiskers.

The rear doors have three screws. The third is in the center and is accessed by reaching in thru the inner door opening. I think I had the glass out which made access much easier.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:01:12 PM by joefrazer »

IowaTom

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 04:44:22 PM »
Thank you lots for the explanation!  I doubt restoring and playing with tired iron would be nearly as much fun without the internet to 1) find parts and 2) learn from and enjoy the help from forums like this. 
When I was with the Studebaker Drivers Club, Larry Swanson used to say the cars bring us together and friendship keeps us together.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 08:27:31 PM »
How true!  One of the old time toy collectors used to say that "The Fun Is In The Search"  That is pretty true for us also and it has sure brought us all together!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

IowaTom

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 03:49:05 PM »
I feel I'm becoming a forum hog with all my questions.
Jim, How do you get that clip off the window channel?  My manual simply says to remove it in order to get the window out and I don't want to break them.
Do they pop off or slide out?  Many thanks!  Oink from Iowa!