Author Topic: Spare tire mount in Allstate / HJ(?) trunk  (Read 1269 times)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Spare tire mount in Allstate / HJ(?) trunk
« on: December 22, 2022, 01:34:25 PM »
When I bought my Allstate 3 years ago, one thing I noticed on it, is an additional mount of some type in the trunk.  It appears to be a tire mount for mounting a spare tire horizontally in the trunk.  The piece is welded to the trunk floor so it seemed unlikely (however, not certain) that someone would have added it. I thought perhaps it maybe something Sears asked for or maybe just something a previous owner (with access to welding equipment or someone else who has such) decided to add.  While attending the KFOC National last July, John Black showed up with his early '52 Allstate.  When he opened the trunk lid, it revealed that his Allstate also has it (his car has a Continental spare so it's easier to see in his trunk.)  Now I really wonder about it so I thought I'd post it here and see anyone else has ever seen such or knows anything about it.  These are the only two cars I've seen with it and the fact that they are both Allstates may be coincidence or maybe this is something Sears asked for on the early cars.  Both of these cars that have it also have a package cover behind the rear seat back.  I know regarding the cars with that feature, there is only one tire that will fit in the spare well (and it barely fits) and that's the 5.90 that these cars were originally equipped with.  Maybe Sears had that mount added so if someone had a larger spare, or a snow tire, it could be mounted horizontally???  It's also possible that the early '52 HJ Vagabonds with the shelf may have had but I don't know and haven't seen one.  Anyone have any information to share regarding this feature?  Thanks
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 01:37:45 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Spare tire mount in Allstate / HJ(?) trunk
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 07:16:40 AM »
Several years ago I attended and auction where a couple of Allstate cars were sold. I took pictures of the cars and the unique parts on them - vs the Henry J - and have none with the bracket shown in your pictures. Just a SWAG but I'm wondering if the early 52s used a different jack setup and the bracket was there to hold it in place. Sure looks factory to me!

I'd post this on the Henry J FB pages - maybe more cars have it as well.