Author Topic: 49 Kaiser Hood Removal Questions  (Read 2222 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
49 Kaiser Hood Removal Questions
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:00:43 PM »
Lots of rust, etc.  In removing the hood,  my hinge springs are both off (rusted off, laying in the corners) I see 2 fairly easy to get to 9/16 bolts and on the outside 2 flat head screws.  Turning these results in not much. They appear to be threaded into a square spot welded nut but not sure.  Appears these need to be cut off. 

Possible mount to the inner fenders. I don't have the assembly or shop manual yet but will purchase soon.

What needs done to remove these hinges and therefore the hood ? 
No old cars owned.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: 49 Kaiser Hood Removal Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 09:45:10 PM »
Yes, the flat blade screws are into caged nuts. You will need to heat them to remove them. If the caged nut is spinning with the screw, you will need to cut them off. I think there are also some bolts on the underside of the hinge too that need removed. They should come out alot easier than the screws.

The hinges can be removed by accessing the bolts from under the dash inside the car.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 08:45:11 PM »
Well,  Virginian #612 being a field car since 1959, is basically a parts car.

I tried to die grind cut through the space between the hinge and hood to "cut" the fastener in half with no success. In looking at your comment I can not open my passenger front door so I opened the drivers door and there is glass and crud everywhere. Unsure of my tetnes shot status I started cleaning out the interior.

I am considering die grind cutting the hinges to just get the hood off. My hood springs are no good. I secured at least one good hinge off the 50 parts car that came with the car and am pretty sure these can be secured in the KF parts community.

Nonetheless, I attempt removals with the hope of no cutting/torching.  I'm starting a seperate post on the #612 restoration.
No old cars owned.

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 10:21:55 PM »
Drill the heads off of the fasteners.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 08:06:31 PM »
I know. I am going out to do it now, but it was a last resort.
No old cars owned.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 09:16:35 PM »
If you're replacing the hood, I would just remove the hood and hinges together in one assembly and replace everything. Hood hinges for the 49-50 cars are universal...Frazer and Kaiser hinges are the same and are plentiful as quite a few were built.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 09:33:10 PM »
Drilled through the standard screw head fasteners using a 5/16 cobalt drill bit. Removed the 4 1/2" fasteners and the hood is still in place.  Dark in that corner of garage and light fell and broke. Will check it out next chance Friday but hood should be ready to come off.

Joe F, it's perfect in terms of no rust and no dents.  So it's a keeper. But I have restored some cars before and I always start by stripping it. Next is grille and front. 
No old cars owned.