Author Topic: Brake Shoes On A 1948 Kaiser  (Read 3729 times)

1952rord

• View Profile
    • Email
Brake Shoes On A 1948 Kaiser
« on: August 22, 2012, 05:30:53 PM »
I would like to know if the long shoe belongs in the front or in the rear when assembling a wheel on the 1948 Kaiser

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brake Shoes On A 1948 Kaiser
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:15:54 PM »
Long shoe to the rear!

Gary.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:58:59 PM »
I agree, usually the longer shoe is also a different (harder) material due to the stress when
braking. Most of the time the material is also a different color than the short shoe.

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 11:26:05 PM »
While most 50s and 60s cars have the long brake shoe to the rear Kaisers dont. Look on page 231 of the 47 to 49 Kaiser shop manual. Right side of page second paragraph down.  Forward shoe is fitted with a longer lining than the rear shoe.  The 51 to 53 shop manual has a picture .  I know both of my cars are this way.

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »
Well then, long shoe to the front!!

Gary.

1952rord

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 11:12:05 PM »
I thank you guy's for the info. The shoes in my 48 Kaiser are in with the long shoe in the rear i will be changing them to the long shoe in the front and maybe i will be able to stop better because right now it takes a long time to stop and a lot of pressure on the foot peddle

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 07:42:07 AM »
If you don't have the Blue cover 1947-48-49 or the Green cover 1947-48 factory service manual, it would be a good investment, along with the 1948 issue Illustrated Parts List book.  A number of parts vendors--including those in the club--often work off the part number rather than description.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 09:21:39 PM »
BRAKE SHOE REPLACEMENT AS PER MANUAL!! Both thebrake shoe sets and the lining sets consist of replacement parts for either both front wheels or both rear wheels. Front and rear shoes for eachwheel are marked "FORWARD and REVERSE"RESPECTIVELY and MUST be installed in their CORRECT POSITION ON THE SUPPORT PLATE. Notice that the forward shoe is fitted with a longer lining surface than rear shoe . ( by measurement the forward shoe lining is 11" long and the rear is 9 " in length. the information verbatim is on page 214 of the manual.   as a further note in order to avoid an accident on 1-5 in California i had to press on the pedal so hard i literally threw mu hip out of joint. now i get around with all artificial joints I found that i had the linings in the wrong way and there is NO self actuating assist with the short one in the front!! 

darrin145

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 04:04:12 PM »
Dusty - If by "no self actuating assist" you mean no self adjusting, you are correct. Must be the self adjusting system was optional? But, the primary shoe can still be relined with a shorter lining. According to "National Service Data" by National Automotive Service, San Francisco 11, Calif., copyright 1956, in almost every car brand listed is a paragraph about eliminating what they call "pulling & diving". They suggest relining the primary shoe with a shorter lining than the secondary shoe! They also list Kaisers & Frazers as using 2" wide linings, 13/64" thick, primary linings should be 12 1/4", secondary lining should be 10 1/32" long. If you do indeed have the self adjusting system on your car and the shoes were reversed, you got real lucky that day on I-5! I find this topic rather interesting and I'm looking forward to further comments.

Gary.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 07:22:48 PM »
In 1949 and 50, Wagner self adjusting brakes were available on both Kaiser and Frazer cars. My 50K Traveler had them installed. The leading show had a hole...about 1" in diameter in the middle of the shoe where a plug rode against the drum. This had a series of bits and pieces that allowed the shoes to adjust themselves to the proper distance. It did not work well on my car so I swapped the backing plates and shoes for the standard style.