Author Topic: would they sell  (Read 2430 times)

retired wrench

• View Profile
would they sell
« on: November 08, 2012, 09:27:10 AM »

I just wonder if HJs were made today would they sell to the general public?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: would they sell
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 10:57:10 AM »
Interesting question but I would ask, when referring to "made today" does that mean in the same exact form as they were in 1951? If so, definitely not.
If they had some modern updates, well that would depend on what those updates were. I recently looked at some new Fiats and they have some similarities with the J - small, ugly/cute (depending on who you ask), economical, great colors and not a lot of cargo space (the J did have that advantage).  Are the Fiats selling? We don't know yet.
If the J were updated with front wheel drive, modern suspension, power steering/brakes and decent transmission it would surely be more attractive but then people would  have to ask "Why by a J when the Fiats, Smart cars and numerous other models are available?" Mercury, Pontiac, Plymouth, Oldsmobile, Saturn all went bust so my guess is, unless there is a significant price advantage (which there wasn't with the original) and it had comperable features (unlike the original) it would likely be flop today too.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 06:11:56 AM »
The Henry J as produced back then could not be produced as they would not meet the government mandates for emissions, safety, etc.

The closest thing to the HJ today is probably the Nano from Tata Motors in India.  After an early spurt sales plunged below company expectations (sound familiar).  The cars it seems had a tendency to catch fire and the plastic body would melt.  NO fatalities known, but a number of cars were lost.  Presently Tata engineers and designers are trying to figure out how to make the car saleable in the USA, with a 2015 target for first deliveries.

Kenn Evans II

• MSN Messenger - winslowcemeteries@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 08:48:42 PM »
I watched the edition on Jay's Garage and the car looked nice.  It didn't show Jay Leno sitting  in it so I don't have a good scale for the vehicles size. I don't think it would comfortable hold us tall and large guys, but I maybe way wrong. Thanks for sharing.
Family of 1952 Kaiser Manhattan 1952 Kaiser Deluxe 1949 Kaiser Traveler 1961 Falcon Ranchero 1963 Galaxie 500 XL Conv. 1964 Cadillac Sovereign Landaulet combination ambulance hearse , 1970 Ford Truck F100 1972 Chevelle SS Conv.  1979 Chevrolet C100 KF Member # 10252

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 07:56:34 PM »
What I was meaning was a no frills vehicle to get you to work and the store. While sitting in my Montana waiting on the wife I counted 61 switches and buttons. Thats insane. (no I didnt buy it new)  I have driven many miles without p/s while shifting gears and using brakes that didnt pulsate. These things are loaded with electronics that no one knows how to fix, in an effort to make them idiot proof. I am an old goat but believe it or not I am capable of turning on my headlights when it gets dark. If they made new Henry Js that didnt cost 30K I would be all over one. ((((((( Getting off soap box (((((((

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 06:41:58 AM »
It is still impractical because of emissions regulations.  The methodology to test is so convoluted and the standards to tight that car companies selling in the United States (except electrics and hybrids who use a different set of requirements) decided years ago that air conditioning had to be included as standard equipment because engine load changes with air on and off (Cadillac was fined in the 1990's for failure to meet emissions standards when the fan was turned off, turned on the car was in spec!).

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 08:53:49 AM »
Getting back to "no-frills" car.  Remember the Yugo, the Vega, the Opel? Seemed like a good idea but the market just wasn't there.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 02:18:02 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 11:05:54 AM »

The big difference is when the above mentioned cars were tried gas was 32.9  people might take a closer look today. Just something to ponder.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 04:14:09 PM »
The KdF Wagen as the original VW design was known is an early 1930's creation.  It was in 1937 or thereabouts that the cornerstone for the KDF Wagon plant in what is today Wolfsburg was laid by Hitler.  At the ceremony he rode around in a handbuilt prototype convertible.  The plant built a small number of 2-door sedans during World War II, along with the Kubelwagen and the Schwimmerwagen (that was the amphibious variation of the Kubel).  KDF was the initials for the German-language phrase that roughly translates to Strength through Joy.  German workers could buy stamps for a book and when the book was full, you were supposed to turn the book in for a finished car but nobody apparently either got a book finished or had a book finished but could not get a car.