Author Topic: Question about a Kaiser Dragon air con.  (Read 1950 times)

rlahammer

• View Profile
Question about a Kaiser Dragon air con.
« on: August 31, 2013, 05:11:41 PM »
I am in the process of doing some work on a Kaiser Dragon that i picked up. It is my understanding that Kaiser did not offer an air conditioner. This is a pretty original car and I am thinking about making it very much like it rolled off the floor in early 54 (i do have the original paperwork so I know when it was sold).

In this car it has a Mark IV air con unit. what makes this a bit strange is that the serial number matches the year of the car and the fit and finish of the knobs match the chrome plating and front dash VERY well. If it was an add on it was so well done you would not believe it. Of course the unit is in the trunk.

My best guess is that it was added by the dealer before it was sold originally but that is just a guess.

SO...

would you guys keep it?
any shot it was original from Kaiser?

thoughts?

thanks

Rob
PS. I am really new to the club but having a lot of fun working on the dragon!!! Have some thoughts about the club and how to make these old beauties enjoyed by more people but that will come later.

Dragon

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question about a Kaiser Dragon air con.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 07:41:16 PM »
Since you have the originally paperwork from the dealer.  That is the best proof as to how the dealer sold the car.
KFOCI since 1968
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1953 Dragon
1951 Dragon
1951 Business Coupe
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1936 International Tow Truck

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 09:22:19 PM »
Aftermarket air conditioning was available at least as far back as the 1953 model year.  I have a Desoto TV commercial where the Chrysler Airtemp system is demonstrated (it takes up the whole back shelf of the trunk).  Kaiser-Frazer's "air conditioning" was like that of the Nash Weather Eye system where air went through a venturi passage in the air duct;  the air flow sped up, the temperature dropped a bit and moisture condensed and dropped out of the passage. The system was referred to as air conditioner in factory literature but it was in fact "conditioned air" as my uncle who was with Nash and AMC referred to their system. 

A Mark IV unit could have been installed by a dealer but it was not factory unless there is a SPEC-FO number properly sequenced on the larger firewall tag.  Check KFOCI HANDBOOK information on K-F cars for more information.

If you joined the club you should have received 4.0 when you joined; if you did not, 5.0 will go into distribution in the next few months (between October and the end of 2013).

rlahammer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 11:27:21 PM »
I did join the club but have not received the handbook yet as I joined about a month ago
The only reason i asked if it was "original" is that all the knobs and the "fit" are so good in the dash that Mark IV must have made this for the Kaiser.  I will send some pictures along soon.
The original paperwork I have is the warranty card, sales price, name of purchaser but not all the options (such as a build sheet). 

Just trying to decide to keep it in the car or take it out.

Thanks

Rob

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 07:22:22 AM »
If it works, or can be made to work without great expense, and looks correct in the car, I'd leave it in place. Mark IV units were well made and very popular add-ons.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 08:33:03 AM »
Has it been updated for the new type Freon?

rlahammer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 11:44:42 PM »
Thanks to all and with your advise I will keep the Air Con unit and try to get it working.
I will post pictures to show how much time (and probably $) the original owner put into the system. I am sure to have more questions in the future as I continue to work on this old beauty.

rob