Author Topic: Cylinder Head Is Off  (Read 1261 times)

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
Cylinder Head Is Off
« on: March 26, 2015, 03:21:57 AM »
As a continuation to my engine is out thread here are some pictures of what I found when I took the cylinder head off today. I got all 33 bolts out without a single one breaking!!  8) I don't see any cracks, scoring in the cylinders, or anything serious. Just a large amount of carbon and crud. The valves look pretty rough but I knew I was going to replace them anyway. It also looks like some one has been here before me. If you'll notice, some of the valves don't match. Some have smooth heads and some have a depression containing part numbers and a brand name. I also see a lot of scratches on the block. It looks like it might have been done when someone was scraping off crud or gasket material. I also separated the Hydramatic from the engine in preparation for some clean up and seal replacement. I checked the timing by the way as I can now SEE top dead center and it is dead on. I hate that I have had to do all of this but at the same time when I do finally get it all done I'll feel a lot better about the reliability of my car.
Robert Trail
Former Tech. Article Editor Buick Bugle Magazine
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1952 Buick Special Deluxe (Lucy)
1951 Packard 300

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Cylinder Head Is Off
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 04:31:15 AM »
It is definitely time for a valve job. The appearance of your engine is typical of a 226 with some miles on it. Check the block carefully at the tops of each cylinder for cracks from the wall to the valves. Numbers 4 and 5 are especially prone. Attached is a pic of what I found in my 54 engine.

IowaTom

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 09:17:47 AM »
I'll be doing what Robert's in the middle of, when my car comes.  Joe, did you have a machine shop weld the crack and do hardened valve seats help?  Thanks!

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 11:20:08 AM »
No, I did not. This was the fourth engine in this car and quite frankly, I was not happy to find the crack. I bought the engine from another club member who said it ran. While it did do that, the white exhaust smoke told a more sinister story.

I think I may do a V8 swap in this car.  It has over 300k on it so its time for a complete refresh.