Author Topic: Rear lug nuts  (Read 1293 times)

IowaTom

Rear lug nuts
« on: March 18, 2016, 05:13:09 PM »
Whoever thought nuts with the bolt as part of it was a good idea for the rear wheels probably never had to fix a roadside flat.
That said, since I've not even taken my project car around the block yet, I've yet to experience that thrill and would be happy if the event were indefinitely postponed.  I have heard some machinist friends say to replace fasteners when restoring an older car, due to metal fatigue over the decades and especially ones that bear a load, such as the rear lug bolts.
Has anyone replaced theirs and if so, do you recall where you got 'em?  I like to torque mine to 90 lb/ft and would hate to shear one off.  Thanks!

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rear lug nuts
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 05:40:35 PM »
I purchased some used ones to have on hand, but also bought up a bunch of new/old Dorman replacements in our system. They are about 1/8" longer. I don't have the # on hand but can get it at work tomorrow.
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin
'55 Victoria
'56 Victoria
-'59 Galaxie/Fairlane Convert.
'61 Falcon 2dr wagon
-'62 Galaxie 500XL Convertible

Member #5954
The Nifty Fifties NE Ohio
Drummer: Moving in Stereo, Cleveland’s Tribute to The CARS

IowaTom

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 07:24:13 PM »
Thank you, NJ! Your list of (cool) cars reminds me of a line from comedian Emo Philips where he says "God and I have something in common... we both drive a galaxie."  Being a motor-head it made me laugh.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 08:51:40 PM »
My bolts have 220K on them and counting. Fatigue occurs when things move around, which those bolts don't. They are tightened to the point where they are virtually integral with the wheel and hub and don't have anywhere to go. Only thing I would worry about is rusting, but don't see any of that on mine yet. Flaws in the bolt would of course produce weakening, but significant mileage suggests the absence of same.

The real booger in changing wheels on the road is getting the car high enoug hfor the wheel  (particularly the one you're putting on) to clear the body.I carry a wood block to set the jack on for more lift. Helps with soft ground too.  Aerosol inflators are a good thing to have as well.

njpatera

• MSN Messenger - pateraclass@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 11:00:10 AM »
Dorman
610-018 (RH thread)*

610-030 (LH thread)
Regards,
Noah

'54 Darrin