Author Topic: 1953 Kaiser Manhattan in Raleigh Classic  (Read 1758 times)

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
1953 Kaiser Manhattan in Raleigh Classic
« on: April 01, 2016, 09:15:15 AM »
I got my latest issue of Hemmings Motor News and saw a classified picture ad for a 1953 Kaiser Manhattan [misspelled on their website] and it looked very familiar to me so I went to the Raleigh classic website and sure enough it is my first Kaiser that I bought in 1998 from Dan Stockberger of Colorado. He had done a beautiful restoration of the car and it won a bronze at the KFOCI New Mexico National show a few years before I bought it. This was one of the best KFs I had ever owned, smooth running, drove beautifully and everything worked on it even the radio. The unique identifiers that this is my car is that the vin# matches and also my car had unique rolled and pleated seat fabric, which of course is not factory correct but was a good match and was very comfortable to sit on for long trips. [you can see it in the website pictures]. The rest of the interior was all original. This car had about 86,000 miles on it when I bought it and I put over 16,000 miles on it. I drove it everywhere including long trips from Michigan to Lexington, KY and it was completely reliable. I did not put new tires on it but it came with likely reproduction BF Goodrich Silvertowns on it as they were in very good condition so I don't think the advertisement is correct as to these possibly being the 1953 tires as there would be some cracking by now and there was none when I owned the car. The only repairs I ever had to do was a starter repair and carburetor rebuild. I sold this car in 2001 to a man in Wisconsin who really liked it and drove it more. I heard that he later sold it to a museum. I don't know the details. The advertisement notes about 30,000 miles on this Kaiser which in all reality has to be 130,000, but that does not matter much because I can see that this car has been very well maintained in the nearly 20 years since I owned it. Anyway, here is the link on their website:

http://www.raleighclassic.com/used-Raleigh-1953-Kiser-Manhattan-Base-K532007478

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1953 Kaiser Manhattan in Raleigh Classic
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 11:09:06 AM »
Sabre Jet Blue over Australian Beige - one of my favorite color combinations.  Looks like a nice one.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 07:23:15 PM »
yup, that is the color scheme which matches its production tag. Before I bought it Dan had the Australian Beige part professionally repainted but the original Sabre Jet Blue top was in great shape and so it still is the original paint on the roof. It is nice to see that this car has been well cared for all these years. I took it to a lot of shows that were open shows most with hot-rods and seldom another KF car. I had made some good posters explaining what a Kaiser is and info about the company because the car invariably drew a lot of interest but few knew what it was. I also took it several times to the big Ypsilanti Orphan Car show. I really enjoyed it and also made sure it was just as nice when I sold it as when I bought it. I hope that tradition continues for the next buyer.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 08:24:49 AM »
That is beautiful. But that isn't original upholstery is it?  It looks like velour with vinyl?  I could be wrong that is why I am asking.

The color combination is very nice and I am a dark colors guy. Not into white typically but that looks like cream. Just a very nice 50's color combination. 

Archival quality (subject to interior originality confirmation) - I doubt it would reach the optimistic $30,000 but I could be wrong. Maybe a $20,000 car? 
No old cars owned.

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
Yes, I noted in my first post that the interior seat fabric was not correct, though the fabric was similar to the original but of modern materials and also it was rolled and pleated which was not on the original 53 Kaiser Manhattans. The rest of the interior is very original, the dark parts of the seats is the original brown boucle textured vinyl, likewise the headliner is original, and the bamboo on the door panels is original. The bamboo padding on the dash is new but authentic to the original bamboo. Not sure if the club's manufacturing fund offered it back then or what but the bamboo on the dash looked so new that I did not think it was original. I have to say however that the man I bought this car from (Dan Stockberger) told me that he bought the car from someone who had stored it unused for many years so the restoration start was very easy. Nonetheless, he invested considerably in rechroming, paint, restoration parts and labor as he was very particular and even replaced the wheel spindles, bearings etc. and restored much of the suspension components which explains why the car drove so well. He had the Hydramatic rebuilt. He said the engine must have been stored properly as he did not need to have it rebuilt, but detailed under the hood so as to appear new. It had 86,000 miles on it when it arrived and it had just over 102,000 on it when I sold it and in all that time it did not smoke or use oil and the compression remained very good as well as the performance. Also I must say that I know that some Hydramatic transmissions vary in their performance in these cars. I have owned 3 KF cars with Hydramatics, and maintained them properly with our local transmission guy who services all old cars including the strange Mopar early transmissions. This 53 Manhattan's automatic transmission must have been very properly rebuilt as it had much smoother shift points, up and down, than the other two that I owned.

It is hard to guess what the bidders are willing to pay but if this car is in comparable condition to when I got it (except for more miles on it) it may cross well over 20K. Just my guess. The color is a big draw and it was when I showed the car in open shows. Lots of people commented on it.

I remember at one big open show the guy who was parked next to me was getting irritated because he had a very expensive modified 37 Chevy coupe with bright Candy Apple Red metallic and lots of chrome and all the hot-rod attractions, but most people crowded around my Kaiser (instead of his) and wanted to know more about it. Also there were times when I was on a long road trip and stopped at a rest stop on the interstate to use the bathroom and before I could get to the bathroom people were stopping me to ask about the car. This was my first Kaiser and KF experience and I never cared really for trophies or showing much, but growing up in Detroit with KF employee neighbors and their beautiful cars, I always liked these cars for just what they are. So I intentionally took this car to many open venues just because I was proud of its tribute to the designers and engineers who developed it. Since my father was a lifelong Chrysler Engineer and administrator in product planning, I had reason to see cars in this way.

The photos do not do justice to what you call the cream color. That color is Australian Beige and it must have been digitally formulated for a perfect match when repainted because it matched very well the original dealer paint chips that I have. Australian Beige is hard to describe because it is a "light greyish" beige and in combination with the unique Sabre Jet Blue roof which has an almost Indigo like cast makes the color combination one of the best KF color schemes, I think.

I am including here a few attachments of the car during my ownership. It is hard to capture the true color in photos but at least this gives you some general idea of the car's look and condition.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 10:35:32 AM by JFerriss »

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 08:56:55 PM »
The Raleigh Classic Spring auction held on June 16-17 where this (my former) 1953 Kaiser Manhattan was sold, does not list sales results on their website and in the Q&A they explain that they wish to preserve the privacy of their buyers. So I was wondering if any of you had attended that auction and if so know if this Kaiser sold or for what amount?