Author Topic: Aero Leaf Spring Bushings - part #?  (Read 1164 times)

mpc

• View Profile
    • Email
Aero Leaf Spring Bushings - part #?
« on: May 08, 2017, 01:35:01 PM »
Hello all,

Does anyone have part numbers from a parts store for new leaf spring bushing for an Aero. I need them for both front and back of the spring.  I could measure once they are removed and find some online that match those dimensions, but if I can order them ahead of time it will save me some time.  It's for a 1952 in case it matters, but I'm assuming they are the same for other years.

Anyone using poly rather than rubber?

Thanks.
Member# 16191

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Aero Leaf Spring Bushings - part #?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 08:56:09 PM »
The shackle bushings are pretty common but the fronts are larger. I had springs made at Eaton but they didn't have bushings. I bought bushings from Springs & Things. Laura was very helpful and can fix you up on stock sizes or at least supply something oversize you can modify. Eaton bent my spring eye bores slightly "hour glass" shaped so I ended up buying oversize bushings and fit them to the bores but in your case stock sizes should be fine if available. Otherwise, fit a thru bolt & nut through the center hole, chuck that in a drill (press) and work the rubber down with a file and trim length with a hacksaw blade.

Here's a couple email excerpts from her:

"Is that the bushing at the shackle end which should be the back of the spring?  If it is, I show most Willys being a two-piece rubber bushing.  They are 1/2" ID, 55/64" OD (for a 7/8 hole), 1" under head, 1 3/8" overall.  They are $1.50 per half."

"I found the spring in the SRI book.  The SRI number that most spring companies would use is 97-269.  It crosses over to the 808147 number you gave me."

Laura
ESPO Springs n Things
800.903.9019 or 570.672.9413

That front bushing bolt is a special bolt so take care, don't know if you could buy that one.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:00:52 PM by MarkH »
Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

mpc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 11:12:04 PM »
Good to know on the fixed end. I'll try not to destroy it, but I'm sure the bushings are overdue to be replaced. 
Member# 16191

mpc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 09:15:12 PM »
I have been making some progress on my rear leaf springs.  As alluded to the front fixed end is an oddball.  The spring hanger has this large diameter washer type insert that is apparently press fit into the large opening.  Then there is a 9/16" bolt through that washer and the bushing that tapers down to a 7/16" diameter on the other side.  Very strange. I haven’t seen a setup like this before.

The nut was seized so the bolt had to be cut to get the spring out. The ancient bushing was of course toast. The washer piece was knocked out with a hammer.  For the replacement my buddy made these T washers.  It fits snug in the spring hanger hole with the larger diameter on the outside.  It’s drilled to accept a ½” bolt.  The other side of the hanger was drilled out for a ½” bolt also. 

So now I can use a common sized flange bushing; 1.5” outside diameter, with a ½” inside diameter steel sleeve, by the 2” wide leaf springs.  I’m using polyurethane from Energy Suspension, part # 9.9483G.

The leaf springs have been disassembled and cleaned with a wire wheel.  The car wasn’t sagging when I got it, so I think these will still work for me.  I’ll add the shackle end bushing part numbers later once they arrive and I verify they fit.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:31:59 PM by mpc »
Member# 16191

mpc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 09:21:14 PM »
My friend also made these leaf spring tip inserts for me.  It's a hard plastic material; I can't remember the name.  The button end rests in the dimple of the leaf spring and replaces the cloth type that came with the car.  I don’t know if they will stay in or if they will even help, but I’ll put some grease on top of them and give them a try.  8 of them for each side.

The button portion is kind of hard to see in the picture.  I looked around a bit for a replacement insert, but I wasn't finding anything with a small enough button (3/4" diameter) to fit these springs.
Member# 16191

mpc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 02:21:15 PM »
For the rear of the springs I used Energy Suspension part# 9.9176G for both the leaf spring and the shackle hanger.  These are for 1/2" diameter bolts without metal sleeves in the bushings.  One of the hanger sleeves in the body was wobbling, so it needed some fresh welds around it to lock it back in place

The shackles may be overkill at 3/8" thick, but they were easy to find on the net at the length I wanted.  4" eye to eye, which is 1/2" longer than stock.   They are from RuffStuff Specialties. It's all back together now with a Ford 8" rear replacing the original axle.  . 

One thing I didn't realize until recently is the width of the two leaf springs is different at the front than at the back.  The front hangers are more narrow and then they flare our to a wider mounting location near the bumper.  My mechanical experience is almost entirely with old Jeeps, so I have never seen a set of leaf springs that are flared out like that.  This puts the leaf spring a bit close to my tire for the portion of the spring behind the axle.  It clears it o.k., but I will need to keep the wheel backspacing and tire width in mind when I buy new ones.  The 8" rear is 2" more narrow than the stock axle, so I guess what I lost near the leaf spring I have gained at the fender.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:44:04 PM by mpc »
Member# 16191