Author Topic: Starter sounds  (Read 1280 times)

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Starter sounds
« on: May 13, 2012, 05:41:44 PM »
When i engage my '51 Kaiser starter it makes a ca-chang sound when I push the button. The
second time I try it, the starter engages normally and the engine starts. It acts the same
every time. This started a month ago and if memory serves me correctly, this is a worn Bendix
drive. Does this sound correct?

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starter sounds
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 04:15:23 PM »
YOU ARE CORRECT CHECK THE BENDEX, ALSO THAT ALL TERMINALS ARE SHINY BRIGHT SOMETIMES LOW CURRENT DETTING TO THE STARTER WILL DO IT. WHILE YOUR AT IT CHECK THE BOLTS HOLDING THE STARTER TO THE HOUSING

Benji

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starter sounds
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 01:51:34 PM »
If your bendix looks good check the teeth on the flywheel.  When an engine is shut off, whatever cylinder is on the compression stroke will stop the engine at nearly the same spot every time.  That means when you engage the starter it will strike the flywheel at nearly the same spot every time.  On a six cylinder engine that means there will be about two spots on the flywheel that will have teeth that are more worn off than the teeth in between these spots.  An old cheapie way to fix this was simply heat the ring with a torch until it will move and rotate it until good teeth are positioned where the bad teeth were.   This is usually done with the tranny off of the car.

Benji
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 04:55:11 PM by Benji »