Author Topic: Starting problems.  (Read 1384 times)

Robert Wadman

• View Profile
    • Email
Starting problems.
« on: September 23, 2012, 07:09:57 PM »
I'm attempting to get my 1953 Kaiser Manhattan started.  It hasn't been started in over 20 years.  I've changed the oil, put in new spark plugs, disconnected the fuel lines to prevent old gas from getting to the carburetor, and purchased a new type II six volt battery, and had the starter rebuilt.  With this work completed, I can get the engine to turn over, but I can't get it started.  I have spark from the coil, and I've checked the gap on the points and purchased a new rotor.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Could it be the regulator?  The battery and starter motor work great and the engine turns over very well, but it will not fire.  I've poured as in the carburetor - a little at a time, but still it will not fire.  Not even a pop. Bob

Lee Crump

• View Profile
Re: Starting problems.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 07:26:31 PM »
After sitting so lone there will be no oil on the cylinder walls and cranking it over will not do the job.  I would suggest that you put a couple of squirts of oil into each cylinder thurough the spark plug hole.  Let it sit to spread and then give it a try.  It will increase your compression significantly enough that if everything else is good it should start.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 09:36:44 PM »
A shot of Marine (for boats) fogging oil sprayed into the cylinders will restore compression if the
valves are not stuck . You could check compression after spraying the oil into all the cylinders, but
leave all the plugs out to do this, If the compression is decent, put the plugs back and see what
happens. If it still won't start then pull the wire off the spark plugs one at a time and with
someone turning over the motor, hold each wire in turn 3/16 gap to the engine block and look
for a spark from the wire to the block.

Robert Wadman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 07:53:24 AM »
Thanks, I will give it a try.  The motor turns over easily and the lack of compression could be the problem.  I will let you know, and any additional suggestions would be appreciated.  Bob