Author Topic: K-F History from a Media Perspective  (Read 4706 times)

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
K-F History from a Media Perspective
« on: September 24, 2012, 01:21:34 PM »
I am not quite sure how much interest there is on this Forum for Kaiser Frazer History.  About 10 years ago I spent quite a little time at my local Public Library viewing Microfiche of old Newpaper Articles.  With today's software I can share this research if there is an interest.  Here are the articles printed in one important newspaper for 1945 ... the formative years.  I find it interesting and hope you do as well.
http://circlekf.com/kfhistory/nyt1945.pdf
Let me know if you want to see more as I do have a couple of more years ready to post.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: K-F History from a Media Perspective
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 08:11:01 PM »
Thanks for the great early Kaiser Frazer history lesson.  Many of the early automobile magazines such as Automotive News and Automobile Topics etc. carried similar stories and they have been highlighted in our K-F histories such as "The Last Onslaught on Detroit" and Jack Mueller's fine book.  It would be great though if we had an archive of all known articles on K-F History.  I don't know how many K-F-W history buffs are out there but I'll bet that we could produce quite a volume of information just from our own members.  It is too bad that we don't have a club owned museum or foundation as we have lost much valuable club history as doners had no place in our club to donate items and they are now lost to other institutions.  Several of our club members have sizeable private collections of K-F-W memorabilia. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:57:33 PM by gordie »
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 09:09:57 PM »
To start a self-sufficent museum that would not have to beg for money (before closing due to lack of same) would cost around 27 million dollars today.  This would buy a building to operate from, inventory that could or would not be donated, pay a small staff and (via converting most of the 27 million to a portfolio fund generating interest income) reserve funds for building maintenance and future acquisitions.

I share my collection of stuff with others (where do you think the KFOCI HANDBOOK materials mostly come from?).  Others share through trades with me.  What about you others who lock it up in a room full of boxes you probably will never open?  Want to work out a way to share?

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 10:10:32 PM »
Some members like history and some don't.   When I offered to make a large display of posters, literature, toys and memorabilia for the San Diego National Meet a couple of years ago I was offered one table and when I asked about security I was told that the kitchen help had access to the room.  Probably the best way to share is thru the Quarterly. The collection is certainly more secure in my home!
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 06:16:45 AM »
A lot more people do care about seeing the bits and bobs than certain people in the club believe.  More and more people are looking for the stuff these days and not just club people.

Displays need to be set up in the Hospitality Room or in locked cases to make sure they are secure and locked up when no one is around.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 11:22:10 AM »
Every time I attend a PNW KF Event I will bring parts of my KF Library to share with those that attend.  Without exception these documents are looked at and read by interested folks.  I have never had anything stolen or seriously damaged.  People are normally quite careful with stuff.  I have one document a 1953 Media Kit that I damage everytime I review it or scan something out of it. Sad but why have it if you dont enjoy it.

Not everyone can attend events where our K-F Libraries are displayed so I believe scanning this information and posting it on the web actually reaches a larger audience.  CircleKF.com is getting 25,000 to 30,000 hits a month.  Not millions of hit but enough I feel it is worth all my time and the $100 a year hosting fee for the site.

Yesterday I posted all the New York Times Articles about Kaiser Frazer printed in 1945.  Over 100 people downloaded the document for review.  At first I was upset that no one replied good or bad except for Jack and Gordie (thanks for your feedback by the way).  Then I realized that most of the people who downloaded were Guests to this forum and are not allowed to reply.   Maybe long time guests but they can not reply in any case.

So here is 1946 - 25 pages of information about the Premiere Dinner, About Steel shortages and Union hassles.
http://circlekf.com/kfhistory/nyt1946.pdf

1947 will be done in a couple of days but the rest will take a month or more each as I will have to go back to the microfiche reader at the library.

Hope you enjoy the history.

Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 12:34:06 PM »
Jim keep them coming I for one appreciate your efforts hope they will be in your Circle K index

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »
Wow minimum wage of 65 cents

PK5321

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 02:35:08 PM »
Thanks Jim.  I really enjoy reading this stuff.  Thank you for all the material you make available on your website.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 03:14:29 PM »
Thanks Jim,  I have printed them all out and started a file on your fine articles.  There is lots of great K-F-W history there!
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 05:32:32 PM »
I was one of those downloaders, and I'm guilty of not saying thank you. I will admit that was a lot of interesting reading. Thank you Jim.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 04:24:50 PM »
So here is 1947 - Only 15 pages of information but with lots of interesting stuff
http://circlekf.com/kfhistory/nyt1947.pdf
Enjoy
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 04:30:32 PM by pnw_oldmags »
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster