Author Topic: Rust on Grilles  (Read 2099 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
Rust on Grilles
« on: September 20, 2012, 09:34:54 PM »
I have rust on my Virginian grille bars and some of the bright trim. I was just looking at a 53 Dragon with a rusty grille.  I thought most grille from this era were either stainless steel or pot metal-chrome plated.  What are the KF grilles made of and for restoration, are they to be re-chromed?
No old cars owned.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rust on Grilles
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 10:03:08 PM »
Seems my '53 Manhattan grill is basically chrome plated steel, save for the parking light frames. which seem to be some sort of pot metal .Just had them all rechromed. The rear end is the same thing, with the taillight housings apparently the pot metal components. The big side mouldings and all the trim around the windows are stainless. Seems the 51 was about the same thing.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:51:17 PM »
1951-53 model year K-F cars have "wartime chrome" which is chrome bonded to the metal directly, there is no copper "middle" which would produce better bonding.  Unfortunately, pot metal and weather are the things that destroy chrome over time.  The pot metal is riddled with tiny pockets of air or gas and when the metal warms and cools, the pockets tend to "move" to the surface and break through the thin chrome.  This creates the pock marks you see and allows moisture and crud to oxidize the metal causing the rust (top down rather than the bottom up pock marks). 

The only thing you can do is to replate the chrome.  NOS CHROME FOR CARS OF K-F VINTAGE IS IFFY AT BEST AS THE NATURAL CHEMICAL ACTIONS I HAVE NOTED ATTACK THE MATERAL EVEN WHEN WRAPPED OR BOXED...it only deteriorates a bit slower if the stuff is kept in a dry area with little temperature fluxuation.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 08:46:21 AM »
Thanks - since stainless steel does not take chrome I was concerned. But, that explains the rust and corrosion. I will get the parts rechromed. 
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 08:47:48 AM »
Plus, I might add, that I looked closely at restored or nice original KF grilles and noticed they were "shinier" then competitors grilles and thought that was interesting. I made me think grilles / trim were chromed.
No old cars owned.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 01:08:30 PM »
K-F used the copper strike (layer of copper over metal with the layer of chrome on top of that) method for plating parts.  Otherwise, brightwork (like belt moldings on 1951-55 Kaisers) was stainless steel.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 03:56:41 PM »
And the stainless can buff out very shiny.  I think the dashboards of the 53 Dragons are chrome not stainless, right?  Whatever it is, it is VERY bright when I am driving and the sun catches it.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 10:24:57 PM »
Correct, the lower dash portion of the Dragon was chrome plated.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)