Author Topic: 1953 Manhattan parts inquiry  (Read 2060 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
1953 Manhattan parts inquiry
« on: October 30, 2013, 09:07:42 AM »
I have a friend that is considering the purchase of a 1953 Manhattan project vehicle that will need a better hood, trunk lid at least.
The taillamps are busted out as well. I "assume" taillamps are available on ebay etc? 

Do we have folks in the Midwest with these parts and if so or if not, how hard is it to locate 53 hoods, trunk lids?
No old cars owned.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1953 Manhattan parts inquiry
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 01:53:06 PM »
Club members can run FREE wanted ads in the KFOCI MONTHLY NEWSLETTER.  Also Club Members who recieve publications (Associate Members do not) will be getting KFOCI HANDBOOK Version 5.0 (first update of the original 4.0 release) as part of the mailling going out this week along with the new club roster and (for those getting print version) KFOCI MONTHLY BULLETIN for November 2013.  The Handbook CD has the 1952-53 Kaiser-Frazer Parts List Supplement (works with 1951 Kaiser Illustrated book; the orange cover one) identifying what parts are common to both 1952 and 1953 model year cars.

KFOCI HANDBOOK is not intended for sale to non members. It's a perk for joining the club.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 02:26:17 PM »
Thanks Jack. I'll consider myself "reminded". 
No old cars owned.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 03:51:06 PM »
Tail lamp lenses...including the inners so appear on ebay and Rudy Phillips, our west coast KF parts vendor also sells new versions of each. A trunk lid shouldn't be hard to locate, however, a hood may be. Due to their design, they trap water at the leading edges and rust making good units a rare find. They do pop up from time to time, however. I do know of a 53 hood for sale in NY that's not rusty, but it does have a dent in the left corner from what looks like a mild impact with a small tree.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 11:18:54 PM »
As stated, hoods rust in front, particularly along the "lip." Mine was quite bad, but I was able to repair it fairly easily by welding in new metal. The rusted parts were mostly on flat areas that weren't hard to shape. I am no pro in this area, but I found it less effort to repair than try to find an new one.

I repaired my trunk lid too, but that was a lot more effort.

Decent albeit not NOS tail lenses appear regularly on the bay.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 09:08:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  My friend is going to offer on the 53 Manhattan, and he is a club joiner so he will join KFOCI if he can agree to a price with the seller.

He needs the service manual.  He states he believes he needs the 51 manual with the 52/53 addendum manual. He stated he sees the 52/53 on ebay but the 51 manual appears scarce.

He did a cursory look on ebay for the taillamps and sees them in the $200-$300 range. Which he believes is high. Me too. I threw away 6 very nice 1949 Kaiser taillamps (glass) due to non interest.
No old cars owned.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 02:12:11 PM »
Yes, 52-3 lenses are not cheap. Original plastic units crazed and cracked so finding good used units will be tough. I know it's a tough pill to swallow...especially since a decent car can be had for a reasonable price, but spend it up front and you won't wear them out!

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 05:34:16 PM »
I don't have the housings but have the right lens NOS on my list; believe I have the inners too.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 05:32:04 PM »
Roadmaster,   The following as found in the new addition of the Kaiser Frazer Parts and sources catalog at the printers now.Erma walker(Walkers Auto Pride) has 53 used and NOS hoods and 53 used and NOS trunk lids as of last years inventory. she has some help from a neighbor in getting them packed and shipped.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 09:29:45 PM »
Dusty
Thanks so much, and Jim.  My friend has purchased the 1953 Manhattan. I would say how much, but I will let him. He will join the forum shortly AND the club.  He and his wife have recently moved from Georgia (I think) to central Michigan. 

The Manhattan has a hydramatic but I don't know much else. 
No old cars owned.