Author Topic: Synthetic lubricants - yes, no or maybe?  (Read 619 times)

leorob51

• View Profile
Synthetic lubricants - yes, no or maybe?
« on: August 22, 2015, 07:04:56 AM »
Does anyone out there in K-F land, have experience substituting synthetic lubricants for the wheel bearings, transmission, differential and engine? I understand that the newer API engine oil classifications don't have all of the former additives in them, due to concerns about contaminating the catalytic converter and oxygen sensor. I'm thinking about running 75W-90 synthetic oil in the differential and transmission. Any help or wisdom would be appreciated.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Synthetic lubricants - yes, no or maybe?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 07:57:13 AM »
When I was at Ford's CEP2 (Cleveland Engine Plant #2) we had a lubrications expert that it was able to "borrow" for a Midwest Division KFOCI meet as guest speaker.  He indicated that synthetics may cause problems because as you noted, they are formulated for recent model year vehicles with their different metallurgy.  My suggestion is to contact the makers of what you are considering using & see if they will put their name on the dotted line to the fact that their product is fully suitable for use in 1940's-1950's vintage vehicles.  I suggest this approach because over the last 3-4 years, synthetic compositions have changed radically between certain brands.

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Synthetic lubricants - yes, no or maybe?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 08:08:42 AM »
I have been using Amsoil oil in the wife's truck since the warranty ran out at 30,000 miles . I told my guy to get my yearly order ready and he was telling me about their products that are high in zinc that he was recommending for older engines that needed zinc in their lubricants . He just told me about it and I haven't had a chance to get into the info yet . You might want to look into it .