Author Topic: Removing door handles  (Read 1171 times)

IowaTom

Removing door handles
« on: March 15, 2016, 05:18:38 PM »
I need to remove them from my '54 Manhattan to get the door skins off and was wondering if the clips are under the handle or the escutcheon (?) and I'm assuming the latter.  It's SO tight back there and I've got that flat tool for pushing the clip out.  Oh, and to remove does anyone know if the tool slides in facing the handle or facing the back of it? 
Many thanks for your help.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Removing door handles
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 06:58:18 PM »
Are you talking about inside or outside door handles?  I believe the inside door handles are removed by pushing back on the escutcheon and pushing a pin out. Ice pick works good for doing this. You'll see the hole/pin between the escutcheon and the handle.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

IowaTom

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 04:13:26 PM »
That is exactly the info I needed, Fid, thanks!

IowaTom

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 04:59:35 PM »
Got the handles off.  What a bear that is for one pair of hands to do!  Wonder how they did that on an assembly line?

Is there a trick to removing the large stainless trim at the outside bottom of the door?  I found only one nut inside the door and I don't want to start prying things until I hear from someone who's done it.

Thanks!

54manhattan13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 06:02:37 PM »
The large stainless on the bottom of the doors is held on by clips, not bolts with nuts. The trim can be gently prayed off, however..... This usually will result in damage to the clips. New clips are available from the KFOCI manufacturing fund order found in the monthly newsletter. (Must buy a set of clips for one side of the car...front fender, front and rear doors.) the wide trim behind he rear wheels is held on with clips that are bolted on. Also available from he manufacturing fund.

IowaTom

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 07:19:36 PM »
Thank you!  That's what I needed to know.