Author Topic: 1953 Willys Aero Ace  (Read 1575 times)

pinetintgreen

• View Profile
    • Email

jasonrocksout

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1953 Willys Aero Ace
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 06:45:22 PM »
WANT.   ;D

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 12:58:17 PM »
$6K seems reasonable for that car. Appears rust free - it is a Southern California car. Full wheel covers are rare, dunno about the one trim ring. It also has overdrive, which is worth it. It has heater/defroster/fresh air vents (although the control valve is by-passed - probably leaks) and the deluxe steering wheel but the horn ring appears to be missing or, more likely, broken off at the base of the spokes. No bumper guards and 1954 headlight bezels. Valve cover should be black, so perhaps it's been removed at some time, possibly for engine or maybe just valve work or maybe just to paint it pretty. Obviously was once a green car. Looks pretty good. If I had an extra $6K burning a hole in my wallet, I'd buy it after a test drive. But then, if I had a winning lottery ticket, I'd buy every Aero that ever came up for sale.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 10:12:51 PM »
Another Ace, this one is a 52 and it's in Florida.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5630281141.html

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 08:28:03 AM »
Another Ace, this one is a 52 and it's in Florida.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5630281141.html

That guy is a hero.  Does the work himself. That floor pan work looks pretty good to me. No one I know is going to sink several thousands into having a body shop do a "slightly" better job, then he honestly describe the car and gives some detail about it. basically says it is time to move it on and prices it fairly. 

I'm no painter but if I bought that car I would go get an HVLP spray gun from Sears and get some high quality paint from O'Reillys and paint that myself.  I think what I could do with modern technology would be no worse than 1952 Willys work. To ask a professional body shop to prep and paint that car would quickly put it out of reasonable-ness for most of us and the car would continue in an unrestored capacity. 

I do like these cars and I think they would make a nice 2nd or 3rd car in a collection but unlike Rick, I can't personally base my collection off an Aero Ace.  Would be a fun regional car show car like the small towns have, and good on gas. 
No old cars owned.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 01:31:11 PM »
Ah but Aeros make good, long-distance cruisers. I've driven all over in my Aero: L.A. to St. Louis, Ouray, Tahoe. Atlanta to Rochester, NY. Good mileage and handling and I never got saddle sore. That second Aero looks like a good deal for someone.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
aeroman@aol.com
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 07:31:10 AM »
Rick
You do a great service promoting these cars.  I did not know much about them until I saw them on this forum and your knowledgeable comments and follow up.   I personally think these are better looking and probably better an overal driving experience than other compacts from that era such as the Hudson Jet and Nashes. 
No old cars owned.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 12:19:41 PM »
According to MotorTrend in 1952, the then new Aero was the number two American car that year, Cadillac being #1. MT had four or five categories of testing, the Aero was #1 in two of them and near the top in the other three. Cadillac never hit number one, but was consistently near the top. So MotorTrend, based on that input (and probably the fact that GM was a heavier advertiser than Willys-Overland), made Caddy #1 and the Aero #2, beating all the Ford, Chrysler and independent products (Kaiser, Nash, Hudson, Studebaker, Packard and Crosley) and the remaining GM brands.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
aeroman@aol.com