Author Topic: 1951 Henry J parts for sale  (Read 17434 times)

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1951 Henry J parts for sale
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 07:29:17 AM »
Hey, Jim. You have any pictures of what you're working on? All kidding aside, I'd like to see what you've got.
KFOCI #9798

Jim G

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 10:07:24 AM »
  Weaz,
  joefrazer has a few pics of the humble beginnings of mine,ask him to post, I wouldn't know how to size or post them ,(s 10 rear just mocked up for moving the car, )  as I pulled the original rear to get Dave and Tom axles and drums (wow what a learning curve that was,)..the width is like 54 inches flange to flange, 8 1/2 aluminum wheels 3" backspace actually would clear the wheelwells, but the s 10 rear is too weak so we went with a 9" ford with 411 gear from an early bronco 58" flange to flange, and are switching to 10" rear wheels 3.7 " backspaced with 29" tall rear rubber, which dictates radiusing the wheelwells, tires should stick out 2 -2 1/2 inches ,as far as the finished product.. the only way I can get you close is: type in a search, henry j for sale..take the link to the henry j page, (welcome to the hotrod Henry J page, ) under pictures, go to page 7 scroll to bottom, up 1 car, bright yellow, owned I believe by Ken Kapper, has Henry diagonal on the door , the car has the stance I am shooting for, not a mile high, but still bristly, I plan to run  a steel nose, street legal lighting ,a different scoop or none at all, and the grill surround trim from a 51 (thanks to joefrazer) I'm still in the "hunter gatherer" stage at this point, have talked to the folks at magnum axles they can make the axle in the 5" drop the width I am looking for ,It takes a lot of measuring and remeasuring to get everything to come together the way you want it too,(measure twice cut once) I've been a welder /fabricator for years and work as a body/ frame tech. A buddy  has access to a bender for the roll cage (going to try to make it almost invisible run it right down the pillars and stretch the dash back about three inches,) the driveline is scattered amidst the debris in my garage right now,and I've got a building to put up out back before I can really sink my teeth into building ,this .I've wanted one since I was a kid,and went to the races in Englishtown N.J.,and finally have one(25 years later)   thanks for your interest Jim G

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »
Shooting for this, then:

Not too shabby.
KFOCI #9798

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 05:07:50 PM »

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 09:25:59 PM »
Weaz, I like those hotrods.  Good luck, JimG!

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 11:24:31 AM »
Those are just the ones he directed me to. Js definitely have a "face" on them.
KFOCI #9798

Jim G

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 11:56:41 AM »
   Weaz
  Yup, you nailed it thats the car, Thanks for posting the pic, I really do love those Hotrod Henry J's too thats the kind of bug that bit me years ago , Thanks too ,to joefrazer for posting a link to my J ,still wearing its "shedded in Carolina patina", (been so cold here haven't even had time to give her a power scrub)  just basically remove original parts, and start measuring, then do a lot of research, buy or trade a few pieces, got the 9"rear last week , next week the axles go to moser, another week or two and we can mount the rear,a few more weeks and we can order the front axle/ spindles , then mock up the eng trans ,(may have to  subframe the front from the cowl forward not sure yet ) trim firewall shell as neccessary, then measure and mock up the axle and steering, tack weld, remeasure,before final welding, then pull the body, box the rear frame rails , (may have to kick up the rails above the rear axle tubes to get it low enough) once thats all done paint it ,run all new lines etc then have at the body , refloor, rebody mount ,some firewall surgery, finesse in the cage finish flairing fenders and then a total exterior body dissassembly/ restore . It'll be probably be close to 2 years till its done,(being on a budget stinks) but what a great little project, again Thanks, Jim G

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 12:02:55 PM »
So, what you're saying is that you have some work to do?  :D

You should take a lot of pictures/notes along the way and post a build thread about it here. Might just help someone out.
KFOCI #9798

Jim G

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 08:39:35 PM »
   Weaz 
in a nutshell  theres a ton to do , good thought I will try to post,some of this at a later time, In a different forum , ( I will  have to ask you how to post photos when I have something) Don't know what kind of interest it would really generate,..If you or anyone else wants to follow a few other ,past ,rod style/ drag style Henry J build ups ...google henry j ,  or henry j for sale ,there are a few good sites, some of the car owners on them  have  years of updates, as they build, modify or change drive lines, exchange rear axles and front suspensions  flooring rockers,etc, there is some awesome workmanship,both chassis and body, some good ,some so so,but still an interesting read,might be worth a look Thanks , Jim