Author Topic: Emergency need of double barrel exaust manifold  (Read 891 times)

Kuretake

• View Profile
    • Email
Emergency need of double barrel exaust manifold
« on: January 22, 2020, 11:48:57 PM »
I am in desperate need of a exaust manifold for my 49 deluxe. My manifold had a crack and snapped due to a rusty center stud when attempting removal. No shops around me in suburban Georgia will touch cast iron so welding is not currently an option.

Bob L.

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Emergency need of double barrel exaust manifold
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 10:23:44 AM »
years and years ago, there used to be a place in Chapin, Ill. that did tons of CI weld repairs.  Owner was Loyd C. Hurst, as I recall. put stuff in fire brick, heated with propane, then oxy/aced welded with cast iron rod, letting all slowly cool down.  He did several heads for me on my race cars (ported into jacket)...worked fine...  Located out in "farm" country, doing lots of combine/tractor repairs..high buck parts to replace...

Went looking on web when I saw your post, seems Loyd has passed...son started a 2nd shop, mostly cyl. heads.  Links below/addresses are results of my search...suggest you try both, and ask...

http://www.chapincylinderhead.com/

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=597611&DisplayType=flat&setCookie=1

Chapin Machine & Welding Co
Directions
Save
Welder in Chapin, Illinois
Address: Chapin, IL 62628
Phone: (217) 472-3151

Chapin Machine Shop and Welding Company
Directions
Save
1 Google review
Machine shop in Morgan County, Illinois
Address: 782 Cylinder Head Rd, Chapin, IL 62628
Hours:
Open 24 hours

Phone: (217) 883-2334

Sort of think the site with welding in name would be the place to start/ one that lacks a web site / older place.  ...Loyd was located on north side of hard road...farm house with out buildings...don't know about the newer place/location...

Wish you good luck with repairs...or finding another...

Bob L.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 10:37:21 AM by Bob L. »

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 03:41:28 PM »
There are cast rods available these days that don't even need preheat.  I've used a lot of a product called Soft Flow, but can,t remembed who makes it, expensive, check with your welding supplier.  You make short welds and peen.  Be aware that poor quality cast iron or contaminated iron cannot be welded succesfully.
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.

Thomasso

• MSN Messenger - walund41@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 11:34:42 PM »
Also;  Use AC welder when welding cast iron.
- 55 Willys Bermuda - 57 Ford E-CODE Sunliner - 63 Riveria - 97 Chev K10 - 99 Ford Lightening - 04 jag VDP - 1998 Jag XK8. 07 Lincoln - 08 Taurus X. All old like me.

Kuretake

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 09:04:12 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, I'm trying to buy a cracked one and get them both fixed at the same time. I might send them to Chaplin I was able to find an oldtimer near me that says he knows the tricks. As far as welding goes I'll save it as a last resort I can weld but I don't want to learn a to use a new rod on my own cast iron.