Author Topic: 1953 Kaiser Manhattan Windshield  (Read 3210 times)

Robert Wadman

• View Profile
    • Email
1953 Kaiser Manhattan Windshield
« on: August 09, 2012, 09:52:28 AM »
I'm a new member of KF club and forum.  I have just purchased a 1953 Kaiser Manhattan and I need several parts.  First, someone threw a rock through the front windshield of my car.  The car has been sitting in a field for several years and suffers from the ills created by a long rest.  I've got it in my garage and I'm in the process of getting it cleaned up.  I'm hoping to find a windshield before I get too much into.  I can't get the car registered without a good windshield.  Any suggestions or assistance in finding the windshield will be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely, Bob

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
Re: 1953 Kaiser Manhattan Windshield
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 10:34:14 AM »
First, I would clarify which front windshield you are searching for.  I would hate you to find one, ship one and discover it is not the correct windshield.  I have seen various versions.  Clear ones, two different shades of tinting and some with a darker tinted strip across the top of the wind shield. 

I suggest you look at the glass in the rest of your car to make this determination.  I wonder if the stamp in the corner of the class will tell you what style you have.  Tonight when I get home I will examine the two I have in my 53s.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Robert Wadman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 11:03:49 AM »
Thanks, I will check the type of windshield my Kaiser currently has.  At this point, I would settle for any 1953 Kairser Manhattan windshield that will fit my car.  I don't want to sound desperate, but after checking with several antique auto glass shops, I'm quickly becoming desperate. I read that the KF Club use to remanfacture these windshields, but the last posting I could find was 2007.  Any suggestions on locating a windshield will be greatly appreciated. 
Bob

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 02:38:40 PM »
The latest KFOCI manufacturing fund form lists windshield, 51-55 K clear-tinted-tinted & shaded $375.00 

contact # 262-391-7919

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 02:52:08 PM »
Good used glass for the 52-53 cars is plentiful. Where are you located? With that info, I can steer you to someone nearby who may be able to help.

In addition, at least one of our club vendors (Rudy Phillips) sells new rubber gaskets for your car. I would not try to reuse the old one.

Robert Wadman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 04:12:17 PM »
My first post was very productive.  I have located a front windshield for my 1953 Kaiser and I'm working out the shipping details.  With this first step going well, I need to find the starter motor drive housing.  This is the section of the starter motor that covers the drive gear that fit against the flywheel.  The housing on my starter motor is broken.  If it requires buy a complete starter, I would consider that as well.  Thank. Bob

kaiservagabond

• MSN Messenger - kvagabond@geusnet.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:12:21 PM »
Helo Robert.  Can you give me the number on the ID tag on your starter?  I've got several  and may be able to get one that will fix you up, ok?

Richard Bailey

Robert Wadman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 11:36:34 AM »
I took the starter motor to a "generator/starter motor" repair shop in Salt Lake City.  I don't have the number in front of me at this point.  My car is a 1953 Kaiser Manhattan with the Hydromatic transmission.  If you still need the starter motor number, let me know.  I will call the shop and get the number if necessary.  Bob

Robert Wadman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 01:05:42 PM »
Stephen:
    I will be in touch regarding the purchase of the 1953 Kaiser Manhattan windshield.  I had a family emergency and had to travel to San Diego.  My wife's 93 year old mother fell.  She is ok, but we needed to check on her.  Falls are risky at her age. I will be home on Sunday and follow up on Monday.  Thanks,
Bob