Author Topic: Where have they gone?  (Read 9094 times)

StillOutThere

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where have they gone?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »
Here's a picture of the Frake Special. From my old notes, the car was built on a 51 HJ chassis. The basic dash and firewall was used but pushed back to where the front seat would normally be. The car was a 2 seater and used Chevrolet, Jaguar and Ford parts...and alot of hand fabrication. It also used a 283 V8 and 3 speed transmission. As I recall, the bodywork was very well done.

Does the Frake Special still exist?   Or maybe the question is was it ever seen again after that old photo?    I take it there was a Mr. Frake somewhere?
'34 Terraplane convertible coupe
'51 Kaiser Deluxe coupe
'52 Spohn Palos cabriolet
'53 Nash-Healey
'57 Chrysler 300C convertible

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 01:08:15 PM »
Speaking of passing on before the better half, I have already told her my 3 buddies will take care of whatever(car related) she needs. Two many pass without having someone to help dispose of our beloved things, Henry.
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=h

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 03:07:19 PM »
Yes, the Frake Special still exists. It was sold at auction a year or two ago somewhere on the east coast. It was listed as a modified Henry J, if memory serves. I don't know where it ended up.

Harold Frake was from central new York and I captured a photo of the car at the KF national in Rochester NY. I think it also appeared at a few regional meets in the area after that. Mr Frake was an elderly gent then so I'm sure he's no longer with us.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 09:11:55 AM »
As far as prep for the dirt nap goes, I have plans to go thru my stock of parts, get rid of stuff I no longer need and label the stuff I will keep. At 58, I think I still have time to get this done, but one never knows. With my daily life as busy as it is, I'm not finding the time to do this. Perhaps when I move to another house, which may happen in the next few months, I can clean out a lot of stuff.

On an upbeat note: my 17 year old daughter has sworn that she will get rid of all my other cars but Old Toby will stay in the family no matter what.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 08:41:27 PM »
somebody said, they DIED twice, and  The second time was ,lookin down from (car) heaven, when he saw his wife sell his things for the prices that he told her what he PAID    :o  for them....

8)

This ain't like Facebook - can't I just "LIKE" this quote?
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2012, 12:44:57 AM »
"Like"!!
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 09:19:10 PM »
I wonder what the membership numbers were in 1975 - 1980 - 1985 etc and also the number of cars owned.
No old cars owned.

roscomacaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 11:50:51 AM »
Hi gang!  New K-F forum member here.  I've been a long-time Stude enthusiast (since '73) and dabbler in Stude parts as well. Had a few Ramblers over time, but not for the last 20 years now. I've always been intrigued by the KF products and even bought a Dragon out of a Georgia junk yard in the 70s.  The Dragon was 100% complete - other than for it's engine, which had been robbed for a generator after the car's elderly owner had sold it to the junkyard. Yard owners told of him driving it to the yard and handing over the keys - no one else had wanted to buy the thing (that was in the late 60s according to the yard guy.  As I was laready neck deep in Studes, I did nothing to the Dragon save for finding it a new owner. And sadly - if I remember right - he only wanted it for it's glass. :-\

At 68, I've been trying to find homes for alot of my Stude stuff. I've got a driver Transtar truck and a Lark ragtop as well as 4 project Studes ( and bunches of good used parts) - and not much zip anymore. 

BTW, r1Lark and I have known each other for some time thanks to the Stude forums.  I probably know some others of you from there as well.

We all have the "sickness", right?  As I sit typing this, I'm waiting to hear back as to when I can go look at another project car this week! I wouldn't even think of it except that it's a pretty special edition job and it deserves to be in good hands. Heck, I turned down a FREE Avanti last spring. Came with a bunch of NOS parts too. Crazy?  No - I'm like alot of you. I've got a spouse that'll probably survive me and won't have a clue as to what she's left with.

BTW, I wouldn't mind finding a NICE driver K-car at a ridiculous price. I can't afford otherwise, and feel sheepish about asking, but sometimes the right thing is out there and goes wanting only for someone not asking. I used to get to ride an a late style Kaiser on a regular basis in the late 50s, so I do have a bit of a connection in that respect.

roscomacaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 02:54:41 PM »
I JUST learned this morning, about a nice (engineless) Silver Hawk that was taken to the metal scrappers place because the owners son wanted some spending money! This along with several good Stude engines.  :'(

r1lark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 06:14:13 PM »
Welcome Bob! You will find a number of familiar folks from Studebaker-land here. I haven't gotten a Kaiser or Frazer yet, but the first step is learning about them, right? A good friend got me interested in Kaisers (I give him a hand once and a while on his '54) and I've learned alot here on the K-F forum. I know you will enjoy it here, lots of good folk.

Paul
Winston-Salem NC
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at:  www.studebakerskytop.com

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 08:40:28 PM »
Everyone, please take note of the operative word in the previous post..."YET!"   (YES!!!!!!!)   ;)  ;)
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)