Author Topic: Electrical Prob  (Read 7014 times)

Tom N

• View Profile
    • Email
Electrical Prob
« on: October 06, 2012, 05:32:26 PM »
I'm having a strange problem with my 53 Carolina.  While driving it along it suddenly stalled.  Somehow we lost spark.  Thought it was the coil, so replaced it..nothing.  we had recently installed new plug wires, cap, rotor, condenser, points so don't think there is a problem there.  With further digging we discovered that there doesn't seem to be any power to the coil.  Starter engages and turn signals work, so don't think it's the ignition switch.  Weird problem for sure, any ideas? :( :'(

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
Re: Electrical Prob
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 06:22:38 PM »
check the wire between the coil and the ignition switch.  Mine had no continuity... replaced ... fixed problem
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 08:09:13 PM »
It could still be the ignition switch as the section of the switch that runs the starter is a different set of connectors that powers the coil. I'm not sure the signal lights are connected to the ignition switch but again, there are several terminals on that switch. I agree though, based on the starter turning the ig sw sounds unlikely but it still could be the problem. Otherwise, it sounds like it may be a wire or connection between the ignition switch and the coil. Check for frayed wire ends or a dirty/corroded connectors.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 08:50:44 PM »
Should also be sure the lead wire to the distributor  is not shorted either where it enters ..or inside the distributor
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

Tom N

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 11:58:15 AM »
I will try all of your suggestions..Thank you.  It was interesting that after we got the car home and it sat for a couple of days, it started right up, ran pretty bad, then quit and won't start again.
Tom

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 03:13:08 PM »
Check your wiring at the coil. With the key on you should have 6V at each terminal on the coil. If you do and there's still a no-start condition, check the small wires inside the distributor. I had one fray and go to ground which caused a problem like you've described.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 05:58:10 AM »
I agree on the small wire attached on the distributor plate.  Because of the weak point in that wire (at the screw) it can corrode and break but still look intact.  This happened to me on my 1951 Kaiser Business Coupe.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 01:33:12 PM »
This wire in the distributor also shorted out on my '51 Kaiser Deluxe, with the same symptoms
as previously described. It grounded the coil and therefore lost spark at the plugs. It would
come and go due to vibration.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 09:25:24 PM »
To amplify a previous comment, if your distributor has a wire lead from the body of the distributor to the points, you should consider replacing that wire with a new wire. It is not hard to fabricate one with 18g wire, suitable ring fittings and a soldering gun. Over the years I have encountered 2 situations where the wire didn't conduct at all.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

Tom N

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 09:23:22 AM »
I will check the distributor wires out...Thanks
Tom :D

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 11:41:49 AM »
If when you turn the key on and have no power to the coil I think it is the wire between the ignition and the coil.  Still my thought ... how can the little wire in the distributor cause this?
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 06:17:38 AM »
The electrical system in the car is a lot like the circuitry in a television set.  If one small connection goes bad it can take the system down or cause problems.  If the small wire is broken in the distributor, the plugs will not fire or will run erratically if the break is able to arc to keep current flowing. 

There is another aspect to this that I hadn't thought of at first.  The first coil I had on my Business Coupe had a problem that was heat-related.  When the coil warmed up, the internal wiring (rather than wires to or from the coil) opened; when the coil cooled down it would work just fine until it warmed up.  Replacing the Coil got rid of the problem.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 09:45:53 PM »
If the wire in the distributor goes open there will be no current flow through the points and
therefore no field in the coil and no spark. If the wire shorts to ground the coil is grounded
and again no field and no spark.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »
For proper spark, the coil must be connected correctly---depending on positive or negative ground system.

Tom N

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 10:41:57 AM »
I am going to begin checking out all of your suggestions soon.  I also wonder if the problem could be a bad condenser? Car started right up yesterday (after sitting for 2 days), ran badly then quit again and wouldn't restart.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 10:46:19 AM by Tom N »