Author Topic: trany  (Read 4525 times)

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
trany
« on: October 11, 2012, 11:18:20 AM »
Need to get the automatic transmission on my 55 rebuilt  wont shift properly . No one in Sioux City will touch it  does any one have any ideas the unit is out of the car so can be driven or shipped  any ideas?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: trany
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 05:44:44 AM »
It's good to hear that the transmission shops in Sioux City (including places like AMMCO if you have it there) are so busy they can turn down working on the same automatic transmission used in 1954 Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs and Cadillacs (if a K-54 on the serial number tag) or 1955 model year versions of those GM makes if the tag shows K-55.   

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 09:17:39 AM »
More and more the trend of NOT being able to find shops to work on the cars with inevitably the result being parked cars fading into oblivion....I have one like that, another with very little driving because of the inability to find anyone to fix it. We cannot all be home mechanics able to fix everything.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

vt2000driver

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 02:55:39 PM »
i have a phone # but it is in southern calif
alex the trans guy 909 235 8921
1953 traveler (long gone)
1949 Bermuda tan (still in California not mine)
1953 Manhattan (parts car long gone)
1947 special (modified) Linda's
1953 Carolina my first Hydra-Matic not on road yet
1951 $520.00 delux with whiskey under front seat!

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 09:29:40 PM »
Doc, Amen to that. I think repair of our cars is a major issue. I had mine at a repair shop that
works on old cars (saw a '56 t-Bird being worked on) to have them put it on a hoist to look
for a cracked manifold. When they took off the air cleaner they spilled oil all over, not knowing
about oil bath style air cleaners. The tractor repair shop will not longer work on 226 engines
(they have all the valve grinding tools) because the owner is to old for that kind of work. At 68
myself, I understand his reluctance.

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 09:38:18 AM »
Found a man 25 miles away who will look at it after Nov 2 hope the election doesn't get in the way thanks to all for the help. Sure agree it is getting harder to find people to work on our old cars. one tray expert just suggested bolting on a modern unit he was a real help

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 10:12:11 AM »

I doubt that they are too busy to work on it. They probably have never seen one before and have no idea where to get parts. Nor will they have any tools required for this trans. Now if they go thru the learning curve, spend hours hunting parts,and maybe acquire tools,they may never see one again for years. I have turned down jobs on odd stuff for this reason. After all the kids got to eat.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 10:22:08 AM »
These days it is very important to advise any shop that the item needing attention (the automatic transmission in this case) is interchangeable with some more popular (Ford, Oldsmobile, DeSoto, etc) make.  In the case of transmissions, the Kaiser Hydra-Matic is the same as a Pontiac, Cadillac or Oldsmobile of same series.  Series is determined by the prefix code on the tranny.  The alphabet character identifies a unit built to fill a customer order (K for Kaiser, L for Lincoln, P for Pontiac, etc) and the number (-50, -51, -52, etc) identifies the "model year" of the unit.  That part is important as there were design changes from year to year.   Parts, service manual, etc are identical.  Only differences may be in how the box is mounted and linkage from the box to the column shift.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 07:11:43 PM »
Transmissions by Gene    235 Front st Unit H Salinas Ca. 03901    phone #  831-320-2726 encouraging shipped units with a 11-14 day turn around  Richard #3719 (Dusty)

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 06:56:22 AM »

I knpw about all the vehicles hydramatics were used in hell I was there. At a dealership where I worked they had a 53 chev shop truck with one in it ( and no it was not a retro fit)  My point is mpst shops are not going to spend several days trying to figure out a trans that hasn't been used in over 50 years when they can do a current one in a day and make the register ring. I loved the old four bangers I had one in a Ford service truck for my shop, but Aamco is probably not going to tackle one.

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 08:57:24 AM »
Dusty thanks for the info Gene seems a little pricey to me

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 10:51:26 PM »
Miles, there is a older fellow in Corning Ca. where i live , did mine for $500.00+ Parts turn around was 3 weeks, Phone # 530-824-2331

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 09:52:31 AM »
Was able to convince local Amoco shop to do my trsny don't have a clue what it will cost but at least I should have the vehicle on the road this year hope it will be by my birthday Dec 16 so I can early celebrate

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 01:21:45 PM »
Best of luck Miles. Hope it works good and lasts a long time.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 05:38:05 PM »
We have an advertiser in our Bulletin every month who specializes in Hydramatics.  He sent me the proper seals for my '54 Willys and he is very knowledgable and dependable.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom