Author Topic: Steel brake lines  (Read 1413 times)

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Steel brake lines
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:09:04 PM »
Need to replace the steel lines in my '53K, and no one in our rural area seems to be able to fabricate the double flare thingees, and I don't want to buy a flare kit for one set of lines. Looking back, I ran into the same thing many years ago and made a copper one myself, with a single flare, which I am equipped to do. Drove it for years with no problems. I suppose it could be argued that where it goes from the tank to the frame it might be more vulnerable than steel to damage. Casting about on the net, I see recommendations to just use compression fittings on steel line, which should be OK for as low a pressure as is involved here. Also notice that 5/16 brake lines appear to be identical, and then the only problem is getting the exact lengths. Anyone done anything of this type, or have a good source for the correct lines in central WI?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Steel brake lines
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 07:08:38 AM »
I am surprised that your local NAPA jobber cannot do this in his/her machine shop.

Otherwise, how close are you to Beloit?  Dale Hammon may be able to help on this.  He's in the club and any recent roster will have his correct info (address on Philhower Road).

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 09:17:29 AM »
DP, I gather you are talking about replacing your gas lines and / or brake lines. Gas lines do not require double flare. I am in the process of changing the gas line on the 51HJ and will be joining some lines with the single flare connectors and rubber hose. Mine is not a show car so I do not need to follow the original spec's and placement. Yes 5/16 brake line will work but why buy short lengths when you can get a roll and flare both ends. Compression fittings are only good on non brake lines. However I have done quite a few cars and doing it in one length is a royal pain with the body on, good luck with your replacement. Any jobber can supply the tubing in rolls. A double flare kit is not that expensive at a lot of outlets. For the brake lines go ahead and buy lengths close to what you need and mix/ match to get the length you require. See my pic of the oil filter line I did yesterday in the HJ section, single flair, Henry.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:21:41 AM by our53henryj »
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=h

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:57:30 PM »
I mistyped-fuel lines are what I'm trying to replace. Just noticed that brake lines seemed to be the same thing and was wondering about that.

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 08:19:56 AM »
I have posted some pic's on the HenryJ form of the gas line install, still need to tidy up a bit over where the rear spring is. Made from a roll because I had it on hand, but as I said get some long pre-made lines and add them together and then you only need to cut and flare one end. If your car has the original rubber lines you should replace them at the same time.
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=h