Author Topic: Source for new light bulbs for our cars  (Read 1097 times)

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
Source for new light bulbs for our cars
« on: October 19, 2013, 05:18:41 PM »
I was looking for LED light bulbs for my '51 Kaiser and came across this link as a source for light bulbs for our cars.  The old stock of bulbs that are still out there can be bad due to the glue disintegrating over time.  These are apparently new bulbs.  They also have advice for using 6V halogen headlights and LED bulbs in our cars and the prices seem pretty reasonable.
https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/dept/Car/cat/100C/Light_Bulbs_Sealed_Beams_LED_Signals.html
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Source for new light bulbs for our cars
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 08:33:07 AM »
in 2009 Mercedes Benz found out the hard way that existing wiring didn't work well when LED lighting was added. They had all sorts of issues with melted connectors due to higher resistance. I wonder if that would be an issue with a Kaiser and it's ancient cloth covered wiring.

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
Re: Source for new light bulbs for our cars
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 01:43:57 PM »
So far, I've only put one LED in our '51 as an experiment.  I'm tired of the flashlight method of reading the instruments at night, so I tried to brighten things up a bit.  I had half old and half new.  The results were somewhat disapointing.  It was not brighter, but the light was white instead of yellowish.  I need to find a way to get more light to the instrument cluster.  White letters on a silver background is probably not the best idea either, but so be it.
No problem with wiring so far with these low power bulbs.  I would think it would work better for the wiring as the current draw is much lower.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988